Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I picked up my S&W Model 351 Personal Defense 22 Magnum.
I've been waiting to get one of these for years, on the wait list at different online gun shops. Mine finally arrived today and as soon as I took it out to inspect it I saw that while pinning the barrel shroud the gunsmith obviously missed the mark and it looks like they were using a brass hammer or punch (see pictures). It's not so clear in the pictures but the gouge was definitely made with brass. Extending from the gouge there could be a slight crack in the shroud.but I couldn't be sure. The pictures also show the pin was driven far out on the right side opposite from the damage as opposed to being flush.
I showed the damage to the FFL and they agreed. I was really conflicted on taking delivery but knowing I was never planning to sell it I went ahead and accepted delivery.
Automotive lighting Tints and shades Font Rectangle Auto part
Bicycle part Auto part Camera accessory Monochrome photography Fashion accessory

The HIGH-VIZ front sight also looks a little strange.
Is this the quality control to be expected from S&W now?
This was not cheap and I would really expect better.

·
Super Moderator
15,437 Posts
I would not accept that in a new gun. Insist on a replacement or return it,

·
Registered
6,296 Posts
That’s not acceptable. I bought one a few years ago because it looked so good with the rosewood grips. I would not have accepted it with that damage. That’s an expensive shooter.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Looked on GunGoBroker at the 351 PD and found this one. Brand spanking new with the same defect in workmanship as yours, maybe not quite as pronounced as yours though. Magnified pictures to see it. Some marring from a brass tool to drive in the pin and then the pin protrudes way past flush on the other side. This is one model I would want to see in my hand to inspect before purchasing.
QC is failing in a lot of big name companies. I just had a warranty problem with Zippo/Case Knives that was resolved with them sending me a $100 gift card and offering to have me keep the defective knife (not a safety matter but cosmetic). It took a week of arguing with them but about 20 minutes after contacting the BBB in Bradford PA and starting a case for failing to honor the warranty my phone rang and their rep made the offer I couldn’t refuse. She blamed it on a rookie that didn’t see the defect in the pictures I sent. I’m not buying that excuse.
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Camera accessory Automotive design Bicycle part

Eyewear Font Gadget Tints and shades Camera accessory

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Looked on GunGoBroker at the 351 PD and found this one. Brand spanking new with the same defect in workmanship as yours, maybe not quite as pronounced as yours though. Magnified pictures to see it. Some marring from a brass tool to drive in the pin and then the pin protrudes way past flush on the other side. This is one model I would want to see in my hand to inspect before purchasing.
QC is failing in a lot of big name companies. I just had a warranty problem with Zippo/Case Knives that was resolved with them sending me a $100 gift card and offering to have me keep the defective knife (not a safety matter but cosmetic). It took a week of arguing with them but about 20 minutes after contacting the BBB in Bradford PA and starting a case for failing to honor the warranty my phone rang and their rep made the offer I couldn’t refuse. She blamed it on a rookie that didn’t see the defect in the pictures I sent. I’m not buying that excuse.
View attachment 569917
View attachment 569918
Thanks for that- It does look like the same damage although I zoomed in with my phone so it's a lot clearer.
Am I wrong in thinking these are assembled by a person? And I would think every gun passes through a quality control person before being packaged for shipping. Which means at least two people handled it (the 1st knowing they had damaged it) and the 2nd QC person let it pass. And I certainly agree with you on the QC. There's no way this could have been missed. Even with my old eyes as soon as I pulled it out of the foam sleeve I told the FFL "We have a problem here".
Even though it's a pain in the a** shipping it off and waiting for return, again I'm very satisfied with the CS I received today.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts