Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi there O Knowledgeable Ones,

I recently inherited this old revolver from my father in-law (age 90), who said he thinks it belonged to his grandfather. But Pop's cognitive faculties are not what they once were when he was a Navy fighter pilot in Vietnam. From a brief online search I'm thinking it is a S&W perfected model 38 double action revolver. It is hinged, top break, with a cylinder release. Caliber .38 S&W. Serial number appears to be #3003. The old nickel finish is well worn (mostly gone) and the action is loose, but appears functional in both single action and double action. I have not fired it. The grips say US, which I have not been able to find online thus far. Was this a military issue sidearm? When? I (and Pop) would appreciate any historical information on the revolver, as well as its value.

Revolver Bicycle part Gas Automotive wheel system Metal
Finger Material property Thumb Automotive tire Nail
Air gun Gun barrel Gun accessory Trigger Metal
Air gun Gun barrel Trigger Gun accessory Revolver

Gesture Finger Material property Thumb Communication Device

·
Premium Member
22,382 Posts
Welcome to the forums from the Wiregrass! Yes, you have identified the model correctly. As Combat says, the grips are made for a different brand of revolver.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Those grips came off a different brand of gun.
Hmm...that explains why I couldn't find a picture of one online with the US logo. All the examples I've seen have the S&W logo in the place where this one has the US. Plus, since you mentioned it I took a closer look at the fitment of the grips and found they are not a perfect fit. Thanks for the heads up on that. It's surprising that a grip from another gun would be such a close fit with the screw hole and all.

Revolver Auto part Carbon Gadget Personal protective equipment
Wood Bicycle part Tool Hardwood Bumper

1 - 7 of 7 Posts