Smith And Wesson Forums banner
21 - 41 of 51 Posts

·
Administrator
8,456 Posts
I think it's great too. I'll be visiting the new facility when it's up and running. I'm sure they'll have some sort of tours set up.

I have this thing about entering a state that isn't gun friendly. As is, I just won't do it.

·
Super Moderator
35,298 Posts
Good new for sure! Other than the cost involved in relocating I can't imagine why a company would stay in a state where there is open hostility to the nature of the business involved. The entire making a product that is outlawed in the locality makes no sense at all.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
If I read one of the posts correctly, it's $120M investment financed through cash on hand. America has been berry berry good to S&W!!! MAYBE THEY CAN INVEST SOME IN QC!!!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Mass gets what they vote for. Good for Tenn.
Good new for sure! Other than the cost involved in relocating I can't imagine why a company would stay in a state where there is open hostility to the nature of the business involved. The entire making a product that is outlawed in the locality makes no sense at all.
I wonder if the Massachusetts State Police will still get to keep their S&W M&P 45's ????😁

·
Super Moderator
19,864 Posts
Moving close to home for me. About 20 miles away. Too bad I'm too old to get a job there.

• Wow
Reactions: SidecarFlip

·
Registered
18,885 Posts
Moving close to home for me. About 20 miles away. Too bad I'm too old to get a job there.
You are only as old as you feel and some days I feel like the Sphinx. Today is one.

Companies today prefer older employees. They know we actually have a good work ethic.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
You are only as old as you feel and some days I feel like the Sphinx. Today is one.

Companies today prefer older employees. They know we actually have a good work ethic.
And I guarantee you that I feel even older than you feel today! :oops: Getting this old really sucks! :(

I could never go back to "work" work now. The good wife and family have me 100% fully employed and then some. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
I wonder if the Massachusetts State Police will still get to keep their S&W M&P 45's ????😁
I'm guessing yes. It's not like S&W is disappearing entirely from Massachusetts. It's still going to be a substantial physical and employment presence... at least for now.

Like I said earlier, I view this more as an expansion of the Mothership in a cheaper, 2A friendly place that makes tons more sense. (y)

On the other hand, 550 layoffs in a decaying, crime-infested "gateway" city that can't afford even one layoff is not going to make the corrupt DimocRAT pols very happy. Might they retaliate in that token but visible way? :rolleyes:

I suppose it's possible. :unsure:

·
Premium Member
13,383 Posts
If they operate like Ruger did, they will keep some presence in the Northeast while expanding in other friendly parts of the nation. Ruger is now in Prescott Arizona and Mayoden North Carolina as well as New Hampshire and Connecticut.

That said, Mass is doing what they can to drive the firearms industry out of their state.

Reactions: mrmike7189

·
Registered
21,225 Posts
About time!!!! They should've left this Anti-Gun state long ago. The Politicians are blaming S&W for moving out. In reality....... the Polititians drove them out!!!!! :mad: Bob

·
Registered
10,201 Posts
I wonder if the Mass guns appreciate like a DW Monson now...?

Thewelshm

·
Registered
370 Posts
My reaction to this was, it's about time. I've been saying for 20 years now that they should move to a more gun friendly state, and stop putting up with that communist state (MA) and their crap. Good for them.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
I wonder if the Mass guns appreciate like a DW Monson now...?

Thewelshm
Well, let's remember that S&W revolvers will continue to be made in Springfield Massachusetts (at least for now). So are you talking about S&W's cheap plastic wonder guns? Who cares about them? :)

3rd Gens (and 3rd Gen "era" pistols) give us something of an example of what you are talking about since there are Springfield-marked 3rd Gens along with some late production Houlton-marked 3rd Gens. Some would dispute this I'm sure, but in my opinion a Springfield-marked version of the same gun is probably going to be worth more over time than the same gun marked Houlton, Maine. Again, just my opinion.

Dan Wesson Monson guns is a whole 'nother matter as they were the guns actually made by (and under the guidance of) Mr. Dan Wesson (a.k.a., Daniel Baird Wesson II). I wish I had one or two nice examples in the collection, but so far no luck. :(

·
Premium Member
Model 27 and Model 19 (early builds)
3,930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Well, let's remember that S&W revolvers will continue to be made in Springfield Massachusetts (at least for now). So are you talking about S&W's cheap plastic wonder guns? Who cares about them? :)
I own 2 of the newer guns and find them very good.

Just asking. What 3rd Generation S&W guns are you talking about? Can you give me a better description? I have the latest Standard Catalog of S&W (4th Edition) so I can look it up.

Sorry as I am lost. I'd say the Dan Wesson guns are different than S&W guns.

My new S&W Model 15 Sport in 5.56 NATO with a 16" barrel:
Air gun Trigger Machine gun Shotgun Gun barrel

Machine gun Air gun Trigger Sports equipment Shotgun

The 30 round magazine is standard here. The sporting rifle is just a lot of fun on the range.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Just asking. What 3rd Generation S&W guns are you talking about? Can you give me a better description? I have the latest Standard Catalog of S&W (4th Edition) so I can look it up.
3rd Gens refer to the Smith & Wesson all-metal semi-auto pistols made from roughly 1989 through roughly 2006 with a few notable late exceptions. All 3rd Gens have 4-digit model numbers. 1st Gens are the originals... the Models 39 and 59. 2nd Gens were to be the "improved" 3-digit all-metal semi-autos made from roughly 1983 through 1988. 3rd Gens are the final incarnation (so far) of the all-metal S&W semi-auto pistol based originally on the Models 39 and 59.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Sorry as I am lost. I'd say the Dan Wesson guns are different than S&W guns.
Absolutely they are different! :) I think member Thewelshm was simply pointing out that the original Dan Wesson revolvers made in Monson MA are considered superior and more valuable than their later Palmer and Norwich successors. There are actually several reasons for that. :geek:

But again, S&W revolver production is not moving out of Springfield... not yet anyway. So there is no reason why an S&W revolver made today would be any more or less valuable than one made after the corporate front office move to Tennessee. :unsure:

·
Premium Member
Model 27 and Model 19 (early builds)
3,930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
3rd Gens refer to the Smith & Wesson all-metal semi-auto pistols made from roughly 1989 through roughly 2006 with a few notable late exceptions. All 3rd Gens have 4-digit model numbers. 1st Gens are the originals... the Models 39 and 59. 2nd Gens were to be the "improved" 3-digit all-metal semi-autos made from roughly 1983 through 1988. 3rd Gens are the final incarnation (so far) of the all-metal S&W semi-auto pistol based originally on the Models 39 and 59.
OK, I am now following your tech (p.364):

It seems to start with the Model 3904 (the second Gen was a 2xxx Model) and 3rd generation flowed into the 4000TSW (aka, the .40 Tactical), and the 4513TSW (aka, the .45 ACP Tactical)?

Reactions: TTSH

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
OK, I am now following your tech (p.364):

It seems to start with the Model 3904 (the second Gen was a 2xxx Model) and 3rd generation flowed into the 4000TSW (aka, the .40 Tactical), and the 4513TSW (aka, the .45 ACP Tactical)?
You've got the general idea. (y) But all 2nd Gens have 3-digit model numbers and that late full-size .40 3rd Gen would be a 4006TSW. Note that there are a ton of 3rd Gen models. Google the Skjos 3rd Gen model list for a complete listing. (y)

21 - 41 of 51 Posts