1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Premium Member
Model 27 and Model 19 (early builds)
3,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thu, September 30, 2021, 9:01 AM·9 min read

In this article:

• Move includes headquarters and significant portion of operations due to changing business climate for firearms manufacturing in Massachusetts
    SPRINGFIELD, Mass., Sept. 30, 2021 /PRNewswire/ -- Smith & Wesson Brands, Inc. (NASDAQ Global Select: SWBI), one of the nation's oldest firearms manufacturers, announced today that it is moving its headquarters and significant elements of its operations to Maryville, Tennessee in 2023. Smith & Wesson has been based in Springfield, Massachusetts since the company was incorporated in 1852.

·
Premium Member
13,343 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,343 Posts

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Like most "blue" states, state government in MA and NY is run from the large cities with the rest of the state pretty much disenfranchised. Your can thank Reynolds v. Sims for that debacle.

·
Super Moderator
8,997 Posts
Like most "blue" states, state government in MA and NY is run from the large cities with the rest of the state pretty much disenfranchised. Your can thank Reynolds v. Sims for that debacle.
Exactly!

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
Awesome news!

·
Registered
8,098 Posts
Ya know... last year SCCY announced they were scrapping plans to build their headquarters in Maryville Tennessee, forfeiting the free land they got as an incentive, and were remaining in Florida. At the time they were leasing a manufacturing facility in Maryville but said they were going to instead expand in Daytona.

Is it more than just a coincidence that S&W is relocating to Maryville?

·
Registered
24,341 Posts
More info:

Smith & Wesson will also close facilities in Connecticut and Missouri as part of consolidating in Tennessee. This process will result in the company reducing the number of locations it maintains from four to three and will significantly streamline its manufacturing and distribution operations.

Key Facts:

• The facility in Springfield, Massachusetts will be reconfigured but will remain operational.
  • Smith & Wesson will keep some of its manufacturing operations in Springfield, Massachusetts, including all forging, machining, metal finishing, and assembly of revolvers, and will continue to have over 1,000 employees in the state.
  • The new facility will be built in Maryville, Tennessee and will comprise of the company's headquarters, plastic injection molding, pistol and long gun assembly, and distribution.
  • Total investment in the project is estimated at $120 million, will be funded from cash on hand, and is expected to be accretive to EPS by $0.10 to $0.12 per year once fully operational.
  • Construction in Maryville, Tennessee is expected to begin in the calendar fourth quarter of 2021 and be substantially complete by the summer of 2023.
  • Upwards of 750 jobs will move from Springfield, Massachusetts; Deep River, Connecticut; and Columbia, Missouri to Maryville, Tennessee.
  • The company's plastic injection molding facility in Deep River, Connecticut, which services both Smith & Wesson as well as a significant number of external customers, will be sold. The Smith & Wesson portion of the operations will be moved to the new facility in Maryville, Tennessee, however, the external customer business will remain in Connecticut and will be divested.
  • The company's distribution operations in Columbia, Missouri will be moved to the new facility in Maryville, Tennessee, and the Columbia, Missouri facility will be marketed for sublease.
  • The relocation will have no impact on the company's operations in Houlton, Maine.

Reactions: mrmike7189 and 1911

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
Now we'll get to judge S&W semiautos by whether the slide is rollmarked Springfield MA or Marysville TN.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Well, this is obviously a sad announcement for me... a Springfield boy... but I can't say that I'm totally surprised. In fact, the only real surprise here is that it took this long to happen.

That said, I view this news a lot differently than the way the headline reads. It sounds to me like the Mothership simply wants to expand and leftist-controlled, high-tax, high-cost, anti-2A Massachusetts would be a silly place to want to do that.

Revolver production is staying in Massachusetts along with 1,000 employees while the plastic throw-away gun business and the MSR business are moving to a much more sane and cheaper tax/cost-of-living place. Makes sense to anyone.

At my advanced age and with a gun collection I consider essentially complete, the chances are 100% that I will never again buy another brand new S&W product... so this "move" will affect me in no way other than nostalgia and sadness that the once prosperous and patriotic city and state I grew up in has lost yet another great American icon.

·
Registered
5,294 Posts
Mass gets what they vote for. Good for Tenn.

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
Indeed, it must have been under design for a few months.

·
Premium Member
3,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Dang... that's quick. They sure kept things quiet.
They sorta did. Some S&W rep told me that changes were coming when I bought my S&W Model 15 Sport with the 500 free rounds of ammo (I didn't need it but couldn't pass on the terms). They were thinning inventory before the move.

Air gun Trigger Machine gun Shotgun Gun barrel

I agree many good folks will be forced to make new plans. I think MA, CT, and NY all have some great guys (I know a few). It's just that the NE costal corridor have more people that like higher taxes, higher living expenses, and strict gun regulations. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
5 Posts
I live just 20 minutes from their new office. Welcome to beautiful east Tn S&W! We’re one of the most 2A friendly states in the US. In addition we have no state income tax and a very low cost of living. Welcome S&W!

·
Premium Member
3,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Just saying, but the TN Vols SEC football team is not participating.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts