Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
20,717 Posts
Welcome to the forums from the Wiregrass! Just a little background on your K22. The K22 Masterpiece was the first S&W target revolver to use the short throw hammer. It was introduced in 1940 but did not have a serrated top rib or serrated grip frame. After WWII, it was reintroduced with the serrated rib and frame like on your gun. S&W marketed the short throw action as the "speed hammer." Among collectors, the shape of the hammer tang is called the "fish hook hammer." Personally, I think it looks more like a tomcat's tail... Anyway, S&W only made that style hammer for a few years before going to a flatter tang. The Masterpiece line of revolvers included a K32 and K38 Masterpieces. Except for caliber differences, these guns were identical including weight. In 1958, S&W began stamping Model numbers on their guns. Your gun became the Model 17. The older K22s are highly sought after by collectors, especially with the original box, papers and tools. In high condition, a package can reach low 4 figures at sale.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Welcome to the forums from the Wiregrass! Just a little background on your K22. The K22 Masterpiece was the first S&W target revolver to use the short throw hammer. It was introduced in 1940 but did not have a serrated top rib or serrated grip frame. After WWII, it was reintroduced with the serrated rib and frame like on your gun. S&W marketed the short throw action as the "speed hammer." Among collectors, the shape of the hammer tang is called the "fish hook hammer." Personally, I think it looks more like a tomcat's tail... Anyway, S&W only made that style hammer for a few years before going to a flatter tang. The Masterpiece line of revolvers included a K32 and K38 Masterpieces. Except for caliber differences, these guns were identical including weight. In 1958, S&W began stamping Model numbers on their guns. Your gun became the Model 17. The older K22s are highly sought after by collectors, especially with the original box, papers and tools. In high condition, a package can reach low 4 figures at sale.
Wow thank you

·
Premium Member
12,292 Posts
Wiregrassguy's post #6 reminded me of a story I haven't thought about in years. He mentioned the weight being the same for the K22, K32 and K38. Like I had said earlier my dad purchased a K22 back in 1947. I first shot that gun when I was less than 10 years old and took it with me many days while walking the creek bed back home and shooting tin cans, etc along the creek bed. I got to be pretty good with it. When I joined the AF in 1964 we had to qualify annually in both revolvers and rifles. The rifle was the M1 and the revolver was the Model 15. In training for the revolver qualifications we got to shoot the K22 first (it was probably a Model 18 but for some reason I think it was a K22). The instructor told us we would start with the .22 before graduation to the .38 because the weights of the revolver were the same and we could get used to the weight before having to deal with the bigger recoil with the .38 special round. Needless to say I qualified expert first time out with the Model 15 thanks to all of those day walking the creek bed back home. I now have my dad's K22 and a couple of years ago I picked up a K38. I doubt I will ever get a K32 as they are very expensive and I am very cheap but you still have to have dreams.

·
Registered
10,109 Posts
Hello everyone, I know I’m going to be a broken record here but I just inherited my grandfathers revolver and was wondering if anybody can assist me on actual model type and vintage
Hey C,

Welcome to S&W!

Way to go!

Pics of a GREAT looking SHORT ACTION 5 SCREW in K 22....on your FIRST POST!

You get bored with that...just send it here...(22 ammo being $100/brick an all) (y)

Reactions: Curt360

·
Registered
30,012 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Nice older K-22. Great revolvers. I have later version model 17-4 which I was lucky to come across a few years back.

Hopefully your planning on shooting it. Keep us up to date with a range report if you do...you wont be disappointed.:)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts