Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently obtained a Bolt action, 308 Win , Model E. On the bottom of the barrel it has "Sweden". Can anyone tell me anything about this rifle, such as what years were they manufactured, who made them, were they manufactured in Sweden, How much did they cost new, and what is it worth now? Any info would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
495 Posts
I have recently obtained a Bolt action, 308 Win , Model E. On the bottom of the barrel it has "Sweden". Can anyone tell me anything about this rifle, such as what years were they manufactured, who made them, were they manufactured in Sweden, How much did they cost new, and what is it worth now? Any info would be much appreciated.

Hello randall.camp
Welcome to the forum. The rifle you are speaking about is a Husqvarna that was made in Sweden. They made rifles under their name and made them for S&W as well from 1967-1970. The first Husky Imorts to S&W and an import company called Tradewind's were built on the 1640 action. This action was made in house at Husqvarna and was based on a scaled down Mauser 98 action. The action was refined a bit in 1965 and those were called the 1900 actions that were imported to S&W and some other's in the United States under the Tradewind name. These are very high quality rifles with cold hammer forged barrels and hand lapped actions. The wood is what made the different prefix's of the Husqvarna rifles starting wiuth the prefix-A as their most deluxe version stock of European Walnut. It had a High gloss Urethane finish, Monte carlo style stock with a cheek piece and finger groove in the side of the forearm along with Jackaranda black wood tip and fine line hand checking. The B, C, Guns were of different levels of stock configuration being less in finish than the A-Prefix guns both having Schnable style tipped forends and the D&E were Mannlicher style full stocked guns with the E having a Monte carlo cheek piece.

I have an A-Prefix model with a classic corrent time span Redfield 3-9 wide view scope on it. Mine is in 30-06 caliber but they made them in .270, .30-06, .300 Win Mag, & .308 Winchester calibers. These guns are hard to find as most that have them keep them due to their high quality and great accuracy. When we do se them available they average $600.00-$1000.00 depending on what prefix rifle it is and what calibers it is on. Shown below is my A-Model Imported S&W rifle that was made in 1967, as well as a Link to the Husqvarna rifle site, I hope this helps, Hammerdown

·
Super Moderator
19,294 Posts
Hammerdown,
I'm always impressed with your knowledge and variety of firearms that you've obtained. This rifle is an excellent example of what you continue to bring to this forum. what a beauty!
Regards,
Gearchecker

·
Registered
19,576 Posts
HD, What do you look for when you examine a S&W rifle, to tell whether it was made by Husqevarna, or by HOWA in Japan? Both are excellent rifles, in my book. Were there any other rifle makers that produced rifles (and shotguns) for S&W? Generally, what are they worth in nice, but used (90%) condition? Oops!:eek: Almost forgot...... Your friend, Bob K

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank You very much, Hammer. Man, you can't ask for any more than that. This was my first posting, and I am blown away by how fast, and thoroughly, you replied to it. I've been pretty busy today so I'm just now getting around to thanking you, but I did get your reply much earlier today. Once again, Thank You much!

·
Registered
495 Posts
Hammerdown,
I'm always impressed with your knowledge and variety of firearms that you've obtained. This rifle is an excellent example of what you continue to bring to this forum. what a beauty!
Regards,
Gearchecker
HD, What do you look for when you examine a S&W rifle, to tell whether it was made by Husqevarna, or by HOWA in Japan? Both are excellent rifles, in my book. Were there any other rifle makers that produced rifles (and shotguns) for S&W? Generally, what are they worth in nice, but used (90%) condition? Oops!:eek: Almost forgot...... Your friend, Bob K

My 30-06 S&W/Husqvarna, with Mannlicher stock, with my model 29-no dash under it.
Thank You very much, Hammer. Man, you can't ask for any more than that. This was my first posting, and I am blown away by how fast, and thoroughly, you replied to it. I've been pretty busy today so I'm just now getting around to thanking you, but I did get your reply much earlier today. Once again, Thank You much!

Hello Gregory, Bob, Hank and Randall
I appreciate your Kind comments. I had a Manlicher stocked C-Model Husqvarna bought and shipped to me and it got destroyed in shipment. it looked just Like Hank's gun and was chambered in 30-06. I would love to add one to my collection, Great looking rifle Hank. The Husqvarna built S&W's have a down sized Mauser 98 style action much smaller in size than the Howa guns. The wood on a Husqvarna rifle is far more superior than the Howas were, with more embelishment's to them. I have had Howa made S&W rifles and although they look nice they do not shot or handle like the Husky's do. They are a decent rifle but comparing Apples to Oranges they remind me of looking at the Old School German made Weatherby's to the newer generation Japan made Vanguards. Husqvarna are hand made rifles of which their fit & finish is no where near what the Howa's are. The Husqvarna rifles are stamped on the left side of the receiver Made in Sweden where the Howa's are stamped made in Japan on their guns. The Husqvarna rifles have a much longer front sight base than the Howa's do. I much prefer the Husqvarna rifles over the Howa's...I feel as though I got a good deal on my rifle but Most Husqvarna rifles run from $650.00-$1000.00 depending on what prefix it is and what shape the rifle is in. Mine came to me in it's original box with less than 10 Round's fired through it. As Far as I know Husqvarna of Sweden and Howa of Japan were the only Two rifle supplier's to S&W.. Regards, Hammerdown

Reactions: teebone

·
Registered
9,504 Posts
randall.camp, as this is your first post, I'd like to welcome you to the forum. You will find when it comes to things Smith & Wesson, Kurt (Hammerdown) is quite knowledgeable and willing to put forth some detailed and excellent information. In addition he has some beautiful classic S&W's in his collection. I might add you will find this "The Friendly Forum" with fellow
S&W aficionados who will jump in and try to help with your questions. - Regards, Hank

·
Registered
3 Posts
308 Huskvarna

Hello my name is Weston,

I have a Sweden Smith&Wesson Husky. It also says Nitro on the side of the barrel. the serial # is 327412.
My question is where can I find a bolt for this gun? Or do I need to send it out to have one made for this gun? I love this gun and my Ex. took the bolt because she did not want me to go on a hunting trip. When I got to the mountain cabin I found the bolt was missing and had to by a new gun up there so I could go hunting. This gun means a lot to me my dad gave it to me for my 12th b-day so i could go hunting with him. Can you help me? Thanks Weston.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Hello my name is Weston,

I have a Sweden Smith&Wesson Husky. It also says Nitro on the side of the barrel. the serial # is 327412.
My question is where can I find a bolt for this gun? Or do I need to send it out to have one made for this gun? I love this gun and my Ex. took the bolt because she did not want me to go on a hunting trip. When I got to the mountain cabin I found the bolt was missing and had to by a new gun up there so I could go hunting. This gun means a lot to me my dad gave it to me for my 12th b-day so i could go hunting with him. Can you help me? Thanks Weston.

Hello Weston
You may have a real problem here. You see Husqvarna made their Own scaled down model 98 actions in house. They are out of Business now. Therfore you will have to scour the Internet and see if you could locate one. I doubt one would even fit your gun if you were lucky enough to even find one as these Bolt's are serial number marked and I suspect as they were fitted by hand for each action they were made for. I would Try despertly to work out something with her to Get that Guns Original Bolt back.... Hammerdown

·
Premium Member
16,912 Posts
I have a J. C. Higgins model 51L .30-06 rifle that is also a Husqvarna that was imported by High Standard. This gives two more brands to do a parts search under.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Thank You for your quick reply,

Do you know any gunsmiths that may be able to make a bolt?

Hello Weston
The problem is that Husqvarna made their own Mauser actions & they are not your average Model 98 action as seen on other riflesand they are what is called a small ring Mauser 98 action as Husqvarna down sized the original Mauser 98 style action's. making them hard to locate as they will have to be made by Husqvarna only to work in your rifle. Here is a link to a Place that has Many Part's and claims to have Husqvarna rifle parts. I would call them and tell them what you have as Husqvarna built Two actions being the 1640 which was the early style then am improved action called the 1900 action. I hope this helps, Hammerdown

Sarco, Inc., Firearms, Firearms Parts and Accessories

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
I have a somewhat similar Husky Nitro crown grade in 30.06. 1969 vintage. The gun has some nice tool work on the bolt and elsewhere. Fired three times. Very nice piece.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello. I inherited a S&W BOlt action rifle when my Dad passed away a few years ago. This rifle says "Sweden" on it, has a schnable foreend, and is in .308 caliber. Serial Number is #327150. I would like any information on which Model rifle this is (1500 or 1700) as well as which Prefix. Gun is in exceptional condition, I would also like to know the value of this rifle.

Thank you.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Hello. I inherited a S&W BOlt action rifle when my Dad passed away a few years ago. This rifle says "Sweden" on it, has a schnable foreend, and is in .308 caliber. Serial Number is #327150. I would like any information on which Model rifle this is (1500 or 1700) as well as which Prefix. Gun is in exceptional condition, I would also like to know the value of this rifle.

Thank you.
Hello PensacolaED
Your rifle was made by Husqvarna of Sweden it's serial number show's it to have been made around 1967 and it is an HVA-1640 action which was the earlier Imported action made for S&W as well as Trade Wind's of Canada. It is not a Model 1500 or 1700 these were later made gun's sold by S&W that were produced by Howa of Japan. Here is a link to The Huisqvarna site that show's the different model's and which one's were imported. They currently go for around $600.00-$800.00 depending on the shape of the gun. I hope this helps,. Regards, Hammerdown
http://www.skydevaaben.com/index.xml

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Triplelock, your full stock Husky is real close to my grail rifle. I think one like yours in 6.5 x55 would be my "perfect"
rifle. Two of my most accurate rifles Swedish.
Cliff

1 - 19 of 19 Posts