Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a S&W Model 79G air pistol in my safe. My buddy is wanting to trade me out of it but neither of us have any idea of what the value of the pistol is. I still have the box and instruction sheet to go with the pistol. Does anyone have general ball park idea of what the value range would be on this pistol?

·
Premium Member
1,648 Posts
I saw one in a gun job about 6 months ago and I think they wanted 75 dollars for it.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dvae, thanks for the figure. I've had this one for about 30 years and haven't seen more than 2 or 3 others over the years. I guess I can work out something with my bud now.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info Tusker. I had the problem with seals about 10 years back and had the seals replaced. I would have to dig to find my records but the guy that did the work specialized in air guns and turned it around in about 10 days.

·
Registered
490 Posts
If you are talking about the guy in Texas, I believe he has passed. The ones I got were an IMPROVED VERSION, made of a different material and NOT supposed to go bad. FYI, I was told these air guns should be stored with some Co2 IN the cylinder. :) I will look for the guys address, but I found doing a search. :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just bought a 79g .177 air pistol at a yard sale a few weeks ago. The gun is in great condition. I serviced it replacing all the seals and also replaced the valve with a high performance valve from JG airguns. It's shooting great and holding air just fine. The strange thing is that there is no serial number on this gun. Now I live about 5 miles from the S&W plant and my thoughts are this could be an employees gun that was never stamped with a serial number. Anybody have any other idea of why there wouldn't be a serial number on it, or if this makes this gun any later than normal?

·
Registered
22,907 Posts
Hey EJL65,
Welcome to the forum!:) someone should be on shortly to answer your questions about the air pistol.

·
Premium Member
18,777 Posts
welcome01 to the forums from the Wiregrass! I'm sure it's on the BATF site but I can't find it. I don't think airguns are considered firearms since they do not discharge a shot by an explosive. So, they are not required to have a serial number.

Reactions: Curt360

·
Registered
56 Posts
I also have a 79G, serial number 00413xx (from 1974 I believe). I had the seals replaced about 10 years ago and it still shoots OK. I only seem to get about 45 or 50 shots per cylinder though. I shoot my single strokes a lot more.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts