Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a model 66-5 and would like to find out some more information about it. The serial number is CER8979. As far as I can tell it is a 2000 or 01. It came in the box with all the papers, and test-fire bullet (unopened) It has the 6" barrel.

Can I tell for sure what year / date of manufacturing? Are there any upgrades for this gun that are worth it? What is a good holster for this?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Smith & Wesson Model 66-5 help

I just purchased a Model 66-5 serial # CER8979. It has the 6" barrel. I would like to try to determine the date of manufacturing if possible. Any comments on it are welcome. Are there any worthwhile upgrades out there for this gun?

·
Registered
110 Posts
rick, welcome and congrats on the new gun. Cant tell you when yours was made. I just bought a 66-2 in four inch that was
made in 1986. I called S&W customer service and they told me the date and year mine was made. In my opinion the only upgrades for mine needed is amunition, targets and a holster. I got the targets and ammo and now am working on choosing
a carry holster.Good luck and good shooting.

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
The fired case envelope will have the date on it.
Upgrades? Not that I am aware of. Shoot quality cartridges through it and it will last a life time (and then some). As far as a holster, for a 6", a shoulder rig or a Bianchi Cyclone 111 (I like the Cyclone with longer barreled guns) .My opinion, others will differ but it's worth just what you paid for it. :D Welcome to the forum

·
Registered
9,504 Posts
I like Mick’s suggestion of the Bianchi Cyclone. Not only is it quicker (in my estimation) to draw from than a shoulder holster, in my case it saved me from slicing my leg. You might notice the cut on the holster ridge; the result of a glancing blow by a machete. Not something you’d think about when buying a holster, but the cross draw Cyclone is a good carry for longer barrels – Welcome to the forum, Hank

Cyclone holster with a five inch barrel 686-6.

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
Hank, lock or not, I still like that gun.

·
Registered
9,504 Posts
Mick: I put my trust in Smith & Wesson cause I too liked the way it looked and so far it shoots as good as it looks.
You fed Revolver Rick good info on the Cyclone holster; IMO.

·
Premium Member
13,111 Posts
My book jumps from CEF (October 2000) to CEV (July 2001) and doesn't specifically show CER (prefix).

I realize that's not much help..........sorry.

Best Regards All and Welcome Rick,

Geezer

1 - 8 of 8 Posts