Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought a 639 back in 1986 while stationed in Germany. Took it to the range recently but noticed that the RH safety lever was missing. Went back to the range but couldn't even find the screw. My efforts to find replacement parts has gone negative as S&W and two other vendors have been out of stock. One of the vendors couldn't even tell me about substitute, interchangeable parts from other models. I would appreciate if a 639 owner here points me in the right direction. Thanks

·
Premium Member
19,116 Posts
welcome01 to the forums from the Wiregrass! What I do when i want to determine if a part is interchangeable among different generations is check with gunpartscorp.com. If the part number they list is the same in different generations or different similar models, then it should work.

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
The 9mm single/double stack frames use the same slide, don't just look for 639 parts, look for 659 also.

Question... do you care if the ambi-safety style stays true to the 2nd gen with the screw holding on the lever? If not, an easier to find ambi-safety assembly for a 3rd gen 39xx/59xx with the new style right side lever will interchange and work on a 2nd gen 639 slide, if I remember correctly.

Do you want to stick with an ambidextrous safety? If not you can also swap to a sing lever non-ambi safety too.

Gunbroker has a completed 659 slide listed... pricey if bought just for at the ambi-safety parts.

But the parts do turn up for time to time on GB or Ebay... just need to keep monitoring the sites.

·
Registered
5,329 Posts
Contact Benny Watson at The gun Shop 386-935-9375 He has a 910 that he has parts for and will probably have one ..

·
Registered
7,655 Posts
Bought a 639 back in 1986 while stationed in Germany. Took it to the range recently but noticed that the RH safety lever was missing. Went back to the range but couldn't even find the screw. My efforts to find replacement parts has gone negative as S&W and two other vendors have been out of stock. One of the vendors couldn't even tell me about substitute, interchangeable parts from other models. I would appreciate if a 639 owner here points me in the right direction. Thanks
Hey pardner, welcome01 Try Jack First in SD, Rapid City. Google the Phone. Those gals know they're stuff! Hope this helps. :bluelogo:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I gotta tell you, I really appreciate the quick response from you all about my part issue. I'm now talking to several leads provided by you and believe I will soon put my hands on the safety lever. I have other firearms but this 639 is special. I has been with me through my 24 years + of Army service and I will return it to its original look ASAP thanks to the help I got here. Loctide comes to mind as a course of action to keep that damn screw where it belongs. Again, thank you kindly to all who responded.

·
Super Moderator
19,530 Posts
Funny,
I was just looking at the safety lever for my model 39-2 this morning. Numrich has them in stock.
Search | Numrich Gun Parts

1 - 9 of 9 Posts