Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I would pop in and try to learn something. I have recently acquired another Model 60, which I did not need but had to have. Does that make sense to anybody? My other one is still alive and well. I have had it for a few decades. So now I have two of them and I like them very much.
But here's the deal, amigos. I would like to know what year these little bambinos were born. In other words, how old are they? I am the 2nd owner of both, and here is what I know about them (will post pics when my smart phone stops acting stupid).
M60 #1 No-dash Serial # R258xxx Beautiful condition, original wooden grips
M60 #2 No-dash Serial # R88xx Beautiful condition, original wooden grips

I am tired of searching far and wide on the internet for a serial number lookup which will give me the year of production. I don't want to buy a book or purchase a history report if I can avoid it. All I want is the age of these two guns. That's all.
I have other S&W guns but I know their age, and I have other guns that I love but don't need the age. Not now, anyway.
I know there are some smart folks on this forum and I am hoping somebody will help me out. A couple pearls of wisdom would be greatly appreciated. At the moment I am tired of weak advice, cute sarcasm, and the proverbial Wild Goose Chase. That's it for now. See you all in the funny papers. Over and Out. ~ The clueless one.

·
Registered
50 Posts
You will not get a manufacturing date, S&W only provides ship date. I have a model 60 R247xxx shipped June of 1980 so your first should be in last half of 1980. The second one R88xx 1969 1970 era.
Please note S&W did not ship in order of serial number sometimes guns set in the vault for some time before shipped.

·
Premium Member
18,887 Posts
Welcome to the forums from the Wiregrass, Experton and R89074! I agree with R89074 except I think it is more likely your older gun shipped in 1969.

·
Registered
15 Posts
You will not get a manufacturing date, S&W only provides ship date. I have a model 60 R247xxx shipped June of 1980 so your first should be in last half of 1980. The second one R88xx 1969 1970 era.
Please note S&W did not ship in order of serial number sometimes guns set in the vault for some time before shipped.
Thank you for the most informative response I have received. I should have come here first.I think I will just have to live with the shipping date. I received the gun (R258xxx) in the 1990's and had the impression the first owner bought it new around 1970. A lot of time has passed and my memory isn't all that good. Comparing your SN with mine, your estimate makes sense. As for the other, (R88xx) we know they went stainless in 1965, and an interesting thing about the gun is the fact that it is slightly heavier than the newer one, and there seems to be a very slight difference in the finish. Barely noticeable unless you see both guns side by side. At first glance, they are identical. I'm looking forward to posting pics but something is wrong with my camera device.
Thanks again for your input. Your Serial number is quite close to mine so 1980 sounds about right.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Thank you, Wendy. I am a rookie at this site but feeling comfortable so far, thanks to nice folks like yourself.
P.S. I am the same guy registered above as ExpertonM14. A dumb rookie mistake. I got my sites mixed up and forgot I signed on this one as 1CavGrunt back in June. From now on I will try to stay as 1CavGrunt. I have enough issues without turning into a dual personality schizophrenic. You may call me Grunt, if you wish. As in infantry rifleman, which I definitely was.

·
Registered
23,524 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum. Thanks for your service. Feel free to share any gun pics/or other pics for that matter...we like that here. Glad to have you aboard.

Reactions: 1CavGrunt

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum. Thanks for your service. Feel free to share any gun pics/or other pics for that matter...we like that here. Glad to have you aboard.
Thank you for the welcome and the thank you. Couldn't get logged in with my new password, so I sneaked back to this forum through my 'history' dropdown box. I took a couple pics of my J frames (Model 60). My next great adventure will be an attempt to post them. I was unable to get on the Model specific conversation, so I will try anything to see if it works. You may wish me luck if you want.

·
Registered
15 Posts
]

Thank you for the welcome and the thank you. Couldn't get logged in with my new password, so I sneaked back to this forum through my 'history' dropdown box. I took a couple pics of my J frames (Model 60). My next great adventure will be an attempt to post them. I was unable to get on the Model specific conversation, so I will try anything to see if it works. You may wish me luck if you want.

·
Registered
15 Posts
It's late and my last remaining brain cells are firing intermittently. I think I just posted a picture of a pair of S&W Model 60's. I will now shut down and check back tomorrow. Thank you all for tolerating my experimental forum activity. ~ Over and Out!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hello to SilverAnn, Wiregrass Guy, Curt 360, Wendy ZXZ, B_Still, and all you nice folks who said hello and shared info with me and helped me get started on this site!

·
Registered
15 Posts
This is the Model 60 that dates back to 1969. For unknown reason it is a little heavier than the later (1980) model. They seem to have slightly different finishes also. Maybe somebody knows something about it. Please feel free to share info or opinions if you like. ~ 1CavGrunt

1 - 17 of 17 Posts