Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This has to be my favorite Smith&Wesson revolver for a number of reasons, and two of them are , it's simple M&P design and it's a big bore caliber.
I carried this one back in the 70's against department reg's for about a month, until I got caught. nfiofnp

·
Registered
9,504 Posts
Impressive, the nickel finnish dresses it up a bit along with the target hammer and trigger, still an all business M&P with a lot of versatility when switching from the police load to the magnum load.

I carried one for a short time. The department rules were pretty liberal:
(1) The revolver had to be a Colt or S&W. (2) Minimum caliber was 38 special. (3) Minimum barrel length was four inchs, and the max length was six inches. So the 41 cal. model 58 fell into the requirements.

I went back to the 357 because the all lead police rounds really leaded up the barrel.

Hank

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hank, this is a blue 58, the glare from the lights makes it look almost nickle.
BUT I WISH I HAD A NICKLE ONE LIKE THIS BLUE ONE. :)

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
Just about the only thing that would make the .41 Military & Police better would be to make it a .44 (Magnum) Military & Police....

This one is from my pal REVORG and is now my favorite "rough and tumble" revolver....

The remarking my be a little crude but the conversion is perfect.

This one from N-Frame was too good to keep, even if it was a .44 Heavy Duty and not quite a .44 Model 58....

·
Registered
10,947 Posts
Not to hijack the thread, but ,,,
was any reason given why S&W did not give that magnum the shrouded ejector rod treatment? An oz. or so of extra weight?

·
Registered
593 Posts
Sebago Son said:
Just about the only thing that would make the .41 Military & Police better would be to make it a .44 (Magnum) Military & Police....

This one is from my pal REVORG and is now my favorite "rough and tumble" revolver....

That is bad ass

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Envy...I am suddenly over whelmed with envy. I've got 57's, 657's, Blackhawks and even a Marlin 1894 in .41...but sadly no 58. :?

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Drew,
I would have liked to seen S&W make these in, 44 Spl., 44 Mag. 45 ACP and 45 LC and with a shroud and I would have one of each.
I like that heavy barrel with a big bore.

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
azmick said:
Not to hijack the thread, but ,,,
was any reason given why S&W did not give that magnum the shrouded ejector rod treatment? An oz. or so of extra weight?
The weight was what killed the gun for police sales. I got one of the first year guns a year or so later the initial offering and every one I showed it to said that it was too heavy for them. I used it because on my beat there was no backup and having the .41 was a great confidence builder. I did talk one officer from another department to buy one but he traded it within a couple weeks. When I changed to another department where there was a lot of backup the model 58 was replaced by a K frame model 65 in 38 special.

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
Jose said:
Sebago Son said:

That is bad ass
Yes it is....

I waited years to find one of these, but never could bring myself to cut up a collectible Model 58.

My pal REVORG made it's acquisition very easy....

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
jimg11,

The weight was part of the issue back then, but I think S&W made a mistake putting the 41 MAGNUM on the barrel instead of calling it the 41 Military&Police.
Having the word MAGNUM to any gun back then and probably now, was, and still is a public relations nightmare, and hard to explain to the unknowing public and the same unknowing people that would be on a jury.
Wording is everything because people tend to believe what they read and hear no matter the facts.
I think that back in the day when the revolver was the only choice a officer had on most police departments, the top choices were the 357 mag. if they were allowed.
No one even blinks at the bigger bore semi-autos now that are 40 and 45 caliber because they don't have the BAD MAGNUM label.

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
RobO said:
Here is mine, all dressed up thanks to Executioner:

Hey Rob!

Surprised that Chris hasn't held you up for that one yet! Sweeeeeeet.....

·
Registered
9,504 Posts
Catdad, here is my blue model 58.

Also understand how lighting can make blue "look" nickle. This picture is a six and a half inch "blue" 27, looks like nickle.

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
Catdad said:
jimg11,

The weight was part of the issue back then, but I think S&W made a mistake putting the 41 MAGNUM on the barrel instead of calling it the 41 Military&Police.
Having the word MAGNUM to any gun back then and probably now, was, and still is a public relations nightmare, and hard to explain to the unknowing public and the same unknowing people that would be on a jury.
Wording is everything because people tend to believe what they read and hear no matter the facts.
I think that back in the day when the revolver was the only choice a officer had on most police departments, the top choices were the 357 mag. if they were allowed.
No one even blinks at the bigger bore semi-autos now that are 40 and 45 caliber because they don't have the BAD MAGNUM lable.
You are right of course . in 1963 or 64 I was one of ??? police officers that took the time to write Smith & Wesson and ask them to PLEASE make the M&P verson in k frame. S&W was talking about 2 powers of ammo a M&P load at 900 fps and a Magnum load. I was surprised to find later that the M&P gun would chamber the Magnum load. I found the original Remington M&P loads to be really poor quality. I soon found that 10 gr of HERCO behind the Speer 220 jacketed Soft Point was every thing that the filthy Remington M&P ammo should be.

·
Registered
975 Posts
All.
There needs to be one voice of reason in this discussion.
They are about as useful as a warclub. They were a marketing failure. The reason there so few of them is nobody could find a use for them and they had no reason to make any more of them.
Even when you all dress them up and try to pretty them up, they are as friendly as a 500 lb. bomb.
I like the .41 Magnum cartridge. It has great paper ballistics. I hate to shoot it. I have a pair of 57's. 6 inch that has a ported barrel and I carry it when Javalina hunting. I hope I never see a Javalina, I don't want to shoot that gun any more than a couple sight-in rounds. It is a bear to shoot. I have a 4 inch in the case and I have fired 6 rounds thru it. It is absolutely horrible to shoot. Terrible recoil.
Model 58 is a big clunky failure as a firearm because of the type of cartridge that was available for it. It is a big boxy over powered fighting gun. I think a lower powered, easier to control round would serve me better.
It does not bother me that you all enjoy yours. If you see another one and you think I might want it, don't call. Buy it and keep it for your self.
You guys do have some nice samples of them and they look good for a gun. Sort of like a pit bull looks good for a dog.
Just seeing if I can aggrevate anyone!!
[email protected]

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
I love Smith & Wesson's "Marketing Failures".... They make me alot of money..... (or they will if I ever sell them.).....

·
Registered
593 Posts
RdrBill said:
All.
There needs to be one voice of reason in this discussion.
They are about as useful as a warclub. They were a marketing failure. The reason there so few of them is nobody could find a use for them and they had no reason to make any more of them.
Even when you all dress them up and try to pretty them up, they are as friendly as a 500 lb. bomb.
I like the .41 Magnum cartridge. It has great paper ballistics. I hate to shoot it. I have a pair of 57's. 6 inch that has a ported barrel and I carry it when Javalina hunting. I hope I never see a Javalina, I don't want to shoot that gun any more than a couple sight-in rounds. It is a bear to shoot. I have a 4 inch in the case and I have fired 6 rounds thru it. It is absolutely horrible to shoot. Terrible recoil.
Model 58 is a big clunky failure as a firearm because of the type of cartridge that was available for it. It is a big boxy over powered fighting gun. I think a lower powered, easier to control round would serve me better.
It does not bother me that you all enjoy yours. If you see another one and you think I might want it, don't call. Buy it and keep it for your self.
You guys do have some nice samples of them and they look good for a gun. Sort of like a pit bull looks good for a dog.
Just seeing if I can aggrevate anyone!!
[email protected]
Bill I'll give you $5 for each of your marketing failures. :twisted:

1 - 20 of 37 Posts