Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have Smith and Wesson model 48 no dash, serial K4047XX. According to the Standard Catalog the serial places it in 1960, not 1959. However, the Standard Catalog under the model 48 states that the Model 48-1 started in 1959, making my gun a 1959 production gun. Which is correct? Did the dash 1 production actually start in 1960?

·
Premium Member
12,294 Posts
Model 48 and 48-1 were both 1959. The model 48 began production at s/n K350000. This according the my 3rd Edition SCS&W. All I can provide is shipping dates. Guns sat on the shelf until an order was filled.

FYI:
s/n K368xxx shipped 7/59
s/n K372xxx shipped 2/60
s/n K4036xx shipped 1/60
s/n K4039xx shipped 9/60

Reactions: Blackcloud2

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Model 48 and 48-1 were both 1959. The model 48 began production at s/n K350000. This according the my 3rd Edition SCS&W. All I can provide is shipping dates. Guns sat on the shelf until an order was filled.

FYI:
s/n K368xxx shipped 7/59
s/n K372xxx shipped 2/60
s/n K4036xx shipped 1/60
s/n K4039xx shipped 9/60
I agree to certain extent, but what I know of Colts they could have been shipped later than their serial number would indicate. One can assume that any gun that was manufactured would have the serial number added when it was produced and then placed on the shelve. I think there is two possibilities: first is that it was made up from older parts to use them up (Colt did this), but if I understand correctly, there was little difference in the 48-1 and the 48. Alternately, someone could have asked to specifically have a 48 and not a 48-1. Unless someone comes up with another, this would be the last Model 48 made. It also changes what is written in SCS&W.

·
Registered
11,758 Posts
GRI, Smith & Wesson would make guns and keep them in stock. The listed dates in the Standard Catalog are 'Shipping Dates', not the date of manufacture. Based on your serial number, the gun appears to have been shipped in 1960, but could have been manufactured with a stamped serial number in 1959.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Is the extractor rod left hand or right hand thread?
While that may seem a simple thing, since most are firmly installed after 60 years and it is unknown which way to turn it, I will not attempt to find out. I believe that your thought is that it could be marked incorrectly. It is possible, but I think unlikely.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
GRI, Smith & Wesson would make guns and keep them in stock. The listed dates in the Standard Catalog are 'Shipping Dates', not the date of manufacture. Based on your serial number, the gun appears to have been shipped in 1960, but could have been manufactured with a stamped serial number in 1959.
I see what you are saying, it is not like Colt. Then I can assume it was, in fact, made in 1959. The only other question I would have, is how many No Dash 48’s were made?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts