Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings all,
I recently picked up a used 442-1 serial#CCP38xx. I'm not sure of the manufacture date, but I have always been under the impression that all of the 442-1 models could handle +P ammo. This one has ".38 S.&W. spl" stamped on the barrel but no mention of +P.
I am wondering if it is safe to fire +P out of this particular gun. I have another, more recently manufactured 442-1 that has +P stamped on the barrel. Not being up on SAAMI chronology, I am not sure when the +P designation came into being.
My gut tells me it should be fine but a nagging voice in my head says "If it ain't on the barrel, don't do it."
Any help is appreciated!

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
You’re not going to like a steady diet of +p 38s out of it anyways so if you really need them put a box on paper and carry it that way. The 442 with a 158 grain wad cutter service load is all that frame really needs but i doubt hotter stuff would hurt it. I’d go magnum J frame if you plan on using hot stuff regularly.like a 640. For my tastes I’d move up to a snubby K frame like a 19 or 66. You also get an extra round. ;)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You’re not going to like a steady diet of +p 38s out of it anyways so if you really need them put a box on paper and carry it that way. The 442 with a 158 grain wad cutter service load is all that frame really needs but i doubt hotter stuff would hurt it. I’d go magnum J frame if you plan on using hot stuff regularly.like a 640. For my tastes I’d move up to a snubby K frame like a 19 or 66. You also get an extra round. ;)
I usually do just that, carry the +Ps and practice with the standard pressure (at least I did, when ammo was available). I tend to carry the older 442 as a back-up when travelling in sketchy areas. If I were only carrying one, it would be the newer model.
Thanks Breakaway500

·
Premium Member
20,759 Posts
The SAAMI +P rating was established in the mid-1970's. This move was a downgrade in pressure ratings across the board from the original proof pressure of .38 Special. +P became the former standard pressure and anything else is a downgrade.

Reactions: rksap
1 - 4 of 4 Posts