Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well...i finally couldn't resist....... had to have a 41......so now i have on on the way via gunbroker......

now,i'm told i can only shoot these with standard velocity ammo.. Soooooooooo.. i went to pick up a brick..... Great googly moogly.... whats that stuff made of unobtainium?.....80 bucks a brick..... oh my...

now I've been told.... that it's possable to use high velocity ammo...CCI mini mags in a 41 if,,,, and it's an if... you use a recoil buffer or stouter springs..... and if this is true.... where do you find such animals? or should i stick with the standard stuff only....?

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
We run two 41's and a 46 around here.... have been for 20 years..... everything from T22's to MiniMags.... I've never used a buffer.

I think, Kritter, that you're getting some GunShop Commando Advice. Get the 41 and shoot it until you find something both you and it like..... 'til then you'll only stretch your stitches worrying about it....

Good Luck.

Drew

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
nope couldn't even find CCI standard..... ended up with RWS target 74.87 for a box of 500.... dang expensive.....
as for the "GunShop Commando Advice" i was under the impression that was S&W's advice on using standard velocity ammo..but it may have been for the earlyer 41.....

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
kritter,
All you need for flawless shooting of hi-vel. ammo is an 8-lb. recoil spring.
It's a simple drop-in.
The buffer isn't a bad idea, but it's not necessary unless you plan on doing lots of rapid-fire.
Brownells stocks the springs, and they work in 41's AND 46's.
Don
;)

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
GRRRRRRRRRR......finally picked it up ..went to take the Aimpoint off ( it's an older discontinued model ) and want to use it as a field gun, and i prefer open sights...
whoever put the scope mount on has rounded out all the allen head screws.....Grrrrrr.....looks like i'm going to have to find a 5 inch barrel for it now..... Oh darn.... nfiofnp

·
Registered
10,919 Posts
kritter, my fix for rounded Allen screws is a Torx, works every time
But don't let that slow your quest for a 5" barrel :mrgreen:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts