Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I just purchased a model 36-1. It was a " gunsmith special". The hammer cocked to the rear and will not fall when the trigger is pulled and the cylinder will not rotate or open. Is the a loose ejection rod or something else. Appreciate all the help and assistance!

·
Premium Member
20,765 Posts
Welcome to the forums from the Wiregrass! It sounds to me like you are missing components in the action. Can you remove the sideplate and post pictures of the insides?

·
Registered
628 Posts
Been thinking more of your issue...
If the hammer is back, the cylinder stop is up and locked and that would make it impossible for the cylinder to unlatch or rotate.
I’d start with removing the grips and mainspring to see if taking the tension off the hammer allows things to move. If it does, remove the cylinder and yoke and proceed to remove the side plate for detailed strip. If not, remove the side plate and internals until you can free up the cylinder.
Make sure you have good gunsmithing screwdrivers and a good penetrating oil like Kroil. The hardest part might be right off the bat with removing a tight screw. Don’t force or ham hand it. Let the oil do its magic overnight.

Hope you can get her shooting soon :)

·
Registered
694 Posts
Hey all, I just purchased a model 36-1. It was a " gunsmith special".
Just so that the definition of "Gunsmith Special" is a little clearer to all, that means the regular, trained gunsmith gave up on it, but thinks he can package it up attractively enough to give the neophyte buyer "Hope of the Resurrection", and said gunsmith can cut his losses and wash his hands of it.

m240, you're filling the "other role" in this play, that of the "Gunsmith Special" M36 owner, doomed to forever sail the "Gunsmithing" forums of boards like this, seeking advice in vain, throughout eternity....

That said and all kidding aside, good luck, if you can get it fixed, it'll be an S&W M-36, if not, it'll be a lesson on several levelss, so in reality, you win either way...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts