Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my dad just picked up this s&w model 35. we belive it is around 1970 vintage. it came in the original box with an extra 22 mag cylinder and a pair of custom herrett grips that look amazing. the weird thing is that it also has a J-frame target trigger which we have never heard of. even going through my dads library we couldnt find anything about this being an option. also haunting all the shows and the local stores we have never seen a J-frame target trigger. If anyone on here has any info I would really like to know. I am only 18 so if any of the information is wrong please excuse me I am still learning. and now on to pictures.

sorry for the crummy cell phone pics that all I had

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
RJordan08, that's one beautiful gun!
Mighty interesting trigger, too.
Thanks for a neat post.
Don
;)

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
I don't think the 35s ever came with a mag cyl, and likely someone obtained one from a model 51 perhaps. Also, the bore size on a mag is a tad larger (.224") compared to the .22 long rifle barrel of your 35 at .222". This may be enough difference to matter. Don't know whether I'd shoot mags in it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a J-frame (square butt, early 70s I think) Model 34-1 that has a target trigger, hammer, and grips. It may have been ordered with these upgrades, but I'm not sure about that. I'm new to the forum too, so I don't know how to attach a photo to a post reply. Are target triggers rare on all J-frames, or just the model 35? NICE S&W pistol!

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
Target Hammers, Triggers, Single Action Kits, White Outline Rear Sight Blades and all types of Stocks were sold in Blister Packs by Smith & Wesson starting in the early-80's.... They were lined up on wire racks as a Point-Of-Sale display..... Mostly these were "drop in" items.... since then unless you see the box and the lable is authentic, it's tough to say for certain if the guns shipped with these features without a Factory Letter from Mr. Roy Jinks, S&W's Historian. Even then, some details are less than clear.

·
Super Moderator
8,955 Posts
Welcome, that is a nice gun.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks guys. hopefully i can pull out all the old smiths and get a good pic of our collection this weekend

1 - 8 of 8 Posts