Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a S&W model 29-3 with a 4" barrel and a nickel finish on GB. I used GB check out system and asked my LGS to e-mail their FFL to the seller. So in a week or so I will post Pic's of my new to me S&W. Right now it's wearing Hogue rubber grips and I have a pair of rosewood magnas here waiting. I will be shooting 44spl in it, really not interested in shooting 44mags. I did plenty of 44mag shooting when I was a lot younger. If you have a S&W 29 post some pics while I wait.:cool:(y)

·
Registered
10,918 Posts
Out of all the HP/28 versions I have shot, the -3 was the most accurate. I have a good friend that has shot more versions of the 44 Magnum/29 than I have and always mentions that the -3 is the most accurate, with 44 Special or Magnum. They are often overlooked because they are not P&R.

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
A buddy at the club has a -3 and does very well with it. I haven't measured it but my guess would be that they tightened up the cylinder throats when they made the -3 changes.

·
Registered
89 Posts
My Mod 29-3 is very dear to me . A lot of sentimental value, as I hunted with it . Only 2 deer harvested... Just one 4 point, & and a large doe.
But neither one needed a second shot.
The buck had to get shot in the neck, as I only saw that part of him at over 60 yards. I am proud of that long shot. And I always praise that S&W 44 mag. for doing most of the work.

·
Premium Member
2,542 Posts
Darn. I don't have a 44 magnum any more. I've owned three or four over the years, but all I've got now is this old 44 Special. I hope it's OK.

24-6 Lew Horton.

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
I have a 29-3 too. It is a little longer than 4" and has a couple of special features though

29-3 Classic Hunter

·
Registered
21,995 Posts
Reactions: CajunBass and Mjh

·
Premium Member
2,542 Posts
dang, Cajun. If the shame becomes too much for you to bear just ask and I’ll let you ship it to me for no charge! what else are friends for? ;-)
No, no...I appreciate it, but I couldn't ask anyone else to bear the shame. ;)

Reactions: Boriqua and Digger

·
Registered
10,420 Posts
I found a S&W model 29-3 with a 4" barrel and a nickel finish on GB. I used GB check out system and asked my LGS to e-mail their FFL to the seller. So in a week or so I will post Pic's of my new to me S&W. Right now it's wearing Hogue rubber grips and I have a pair of rosewood magnas here waiting. I will be shooting 44spl in it, really not interested in shooting 44mags. I did plenty of 44mag shooting when I was a lot younger. If you have a S&W 29 post some pics while I wait.:cool:(y)
I have one and I bought it years ago, thinking I was getting a "Dirty Harry" version, but of course I later realized it was a dash 3 and of course the factory smooth stocks weren't like Harry's. I actually "Karma'd" off those beauties here on this site many, many years ago and the winner suddenly stopped posting. It now wears something closer to the Clint Eastwood looking stocks thanks to Gear Checker, but I wish now I'd have kept those original stocks! :)

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
I had a 29-2 a few years back with huge cylinder throats and it just didn't shoot well. I hated to part with it but I also had a Stealth Hunter and it must have had a built in laser guidance system. The P&R thing is nice but I would rather have a gun that's accurate.

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
I have one also. I love it. Yours is the only other one I have seen on this forum.

OldFarmBoy
Yeah, there don't seem to be too many of them out there. IIRC they were a Lew Horton special run planned for only 5000 guns (possibly less actually built) and they were only available for a year or two.

I have only seen a half a dozen people post pictures of theirs on Big Blue.

Reactions: OldFarmBoy

·
Registered
9,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I been checking out the USPS tracking and find it lacking. Doesn't tell me where the gun is only that's it's in transit and running on time.:unsure:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts