Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently found a model 28-2 highway patrolman in the attic of my new home. Its in kind of rough shape but shoots very well and accurate. I believe its a early model because the serial number is N37xx. Could someone please give me some info on this gun? Age?Value as is? Value if refinished? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

·
Registered
11,072 Posts
Where to begin on that one,,, it's an early N serial prefix, 1969=1972 ish, closer to 70/71 I'd say. The wood stocks do not appear to be original, the Highway Patreolman revolvers usually shipped with Magnas. The condition is,,, it's a great truck/boat gun. Refinishing it would suit you but any collector value was lost many years ago and the cost of a refinish would not be recouped if you ever chose to sell it. In it present condition,,, it's a $300/$350 beater. That may sound low but, keep in mind, you will, with proper care and feeding, be leaving it to one of your kids. They are a robust revolver, built on the same frame as the Model 29, 44 Magnum. I would not sell it, trade it, barter the thing away. I have one that has a cosmetically challenged finish but it shoots great and the gun has no problem with it's being less than a Prom Queen or a Safe Queen so why should I. Enjoy it, shoot the hell out of it.

·
Registered
6,582 Posts
First of all, welcome to the forum.

Looks to be about 1971 or so. Durn shame that it has been neglected but as expected the old Model 28 just keeps on shooting. Grips look to be from a K-frame gun rather than an N frame model.

In most instances I don't encourage re-finishing, but in this case it might be worthwhile. If you're gonna keep it and shoot it, refinishing ain't gonna improve it's accuracy a bit. But if you can't stand to look at it the way it is, then refinishing may be worthwhile.

You have a maybe $250.00 gun, add another $250 to refinish it and you'll wind up with a maybe $450 to $550 gun if you try to sell it.

On the other hand, keep it as it is and you and your grandkids will be shooting it 30 years from now.

·
Registered
11,755 Posts
If it's available in your area buy a can of Kroil (oil) or you can get it on the internet, try Amazon.com. Pull the stocks (wood grips) and immerse/soak that gun in the Kroil (a heavy duty large zip-loc bag works well) and put it away for a week or so. Wipe it down well and enjoy an extremely good shooting gun. You can have it refinished and make it look new, but it's not all that old to invest in for that money if it were mine, but as a shooter, you can't go wrong and the rust abatement will cost you little to do. I wish I would find one like it in my attic!

Reactions: azmick

·
Registered
10,283 Posts
What else ya got up in that attic? Sounds like the new home was already worth the purchase price - well, it improved a bit anyway!!

Welcome aboard! Take that sweetie on a shooting date, and tell us how she shot! We love pictures and range reports!!

·
Registered
4,004 Posts
Nice shooter. The pitting would make a restoration and blue rather expensive. If it were mine , I'd probably just glass-bead and Parkerize it. I've seen several Parkerized revolvers and they look pretty good.

Reactions: quikdraw67

·
Registered
make mine 45 acp 😎
4,071 Posts
nice.. HP are great range guns..

I would use the Kroil treatment, and brush it with Kroil soaked 0000 steel wool (or brass wool) a couple of times in-between soaks (midway is where I get mine)

its not magic - but it will get after the rust and leave what blue is left....

as long as the pitting is not too bad, you could consider some kind of recoat if it struck your fancy..

·
Registered
11,072 Posts
The 28 pictured has been refinished (before I got it) and I wish I knew what it is, it's about bullet proof. A very durable finish (flat black, looks like it was bead blasted and whateverthehellitis put on it. I don't mind the way it looks either.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Tahnks everyone for the input.. Im def gonna keep this gun in the family! Finding it just feels like it was meant to be. The wear on the gun is really starting to grow on me and i dont intend on refinishing it, although i think i will try the kroil treatment. Does anyone have any suggestions on what grips would fit this gun the best? And where i could find them? The grips that are on it now dont seem to fit the gun correctly and covers some of the S&W logo on the right side. Thanks again! So glad i posted in this forum!

·
Registered
527 Posts
The grips on your gun look to be K-frame (Model 15, Model 19 etc) target grips. The grips that most likely came with your gun are called Magna grips. They do not wrap around the grip frame, and they do not cover the S&W logo. MY HP has the Magnas on them. I don't have a pic handy though. Any one of the auctions sites should have them for sale. But, you can go with rubber aftermarket grips as well. Whatever works best for you.

·
Registered
11,072 Posts
Does anyone have any suggestions on what grips would fit this gun the best?
The gun is an "N frame" square butt, there are plenty of after market makers, some better than others, some more money than others. The gun doesn't care what pants it wears, get some that fit you. There are smooth or checkered wood (with a bunch of types of wood from Walnut to apple), rubber, ivory, plastic, carbon fiber, elk antler, buffalo horn, finger groove, single finger groove, 'coke bottle', hell, we even just seen a set that looks like they were made from wood putty. Just get a set you like, if they are for the N frame square butt, they will fit the gun.

·
Administrator
8,490 Posts
Congrats on your find. That revolver will last you a very long time if you take care of it. I agree with several others to just clean it up and leave it alone, other than shooting it every chance you get!

Look on ebay for N frame Magna grips. I also recommend what's called a Tyler-T grip to go along with the Magna grips.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.