Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I am trying to learn about this S&W model 1955 chambered in .45 Long Colt. This gun belonged to my Dad, in which he traded for in 1995 from a local pawn shop. I inherited it when we lost him in 2005 to brain cancer. Was hoping someone could tell me if the one I have is a special edition? I have been unable to find one that looks like this one with the engravings and all, and the paperwork that was inside the box that it came in said that the model 1955 had been offered in a special custom edition, in which could be chambered in .45 colt, and with engravings. The paper also states that only 28 of these were made. This one has the serial number 55422 on the frame of the stock like it states in the paperwork. Is there any collectors out there that can help me with some info on this? Take a look at the attachments on this forum.

Thanks 20200321_125824.jpg 20200321_125929.jpg 20200317_141128.jpg

·
Registered
3,965 Posts
Agreed, quite an entrance! The sky's the limit for auction value for that one. :eek:

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
I took the liberty of flipping your photos. Beautiful revolver in an uncommon package. The engraving is classic, the chambering is borderline rare and the letter is icing on the cake!

I really like it.

Kevin

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Haha, thank you. Although, wasn't trying to make an entrance. Just have become very interested in this gun. I was offered $600 for it and declined. I have seen the ones at online auctions people are asking anywhere from 900 on up to the $1500 range. But, I have yet to see another one like this with the engravings, and thought it was unique. Also, most are chambered in .45 ACP that I have seen. Would it be true that only 28 were made like this? Wondering why they would only make 28?

·
Registered
3,965 Posts
Haha, thank you. Although, wasn't trying to make an entrance. Just have become very interested in this gun. I was offered $600 for it and declined. I have seen the ones at online auctions people are asking anywhere from 900 on up to the $1500 range. But, I have yet to see another one like this with the engravings, and thought it was unique. Also, most are chambered in .45 ACP that I have seen. Would it be true that only 28 were made like this? Wondering why they would only make 28?
45 LC is a rare caliber for a Mod 1955. According to my copy of SCSW, sales have been between $8000-$12,000. Hang onto that letter and try to find the cleaning tools.

Bet the $900-$1500 was for 45 acp, not 45LC.

Carefully remove the grips for the s/n. The one you reported is a digit short and should start with an S or N.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wow! no kidding? I have looked for the cleaning tools, and have found what I think is the screw driver that came with it, and the cleaning rod. But I am not positive if they are original. Still looking. Thank you for your info. What is "SCSW?"

·
Registered
3,965 Posts
Standard Catalog of Smith and Wesson.
Sort of the bible for collectors.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Good to know, and will for sure consider that. Very much appreciate the info. It has been sitting in my safe for all this time. I have several guns, but am not a collector. I might possibly consider selling this gun in the future, but I am in no big hurry at this time.

·
Registered
3,965 Posts
Looks like Roy dropped a digit in the letter, it happens.

Reactions: Oldgungeezer

·
Premium Member
13,111 Posts
That is one super heck of a revolver you have........super rare, super valuable, super beautiful and a family heirloom to boot.

I most certainly hope you do not sell it and keep it in your family for generations to come because as an heirloom, it's priceless.

Thanks for sharing that thing of beauty with us on the friendly forum,

BTW, we'd all love to see the other guns that you inherited from your Dad.................

Best Regards,

Geezer

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
Hey J,

Welcome to S&W!

What a fine looking .45LC!

Later, Mark

1 - 20 of 55 Posts