Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off let me say Hello and thanks for letting me come aboard.
I'm an old disabled Vietnam vet but still able to enjoy working on old guns and getting them back complete and working as they did when new but I'm not a restorer,ie bluing or wood working.I like to keep 'em "as original".
I have a fair condition old 1905 Target which I believe is a 4th change.
6" barrel,Patridge front sight,all in all in pretty fair shape,nice tight lock up,cylinder gap is good,cylinder rotates true and timing seems right.
It also came with Tyler grip adapters and original grips.
I'd like to know when it was made,ser.# 6461XX.

Also the bolt or bolt/cylinder catch is loose and sloppy,does anyone know where I can find a good one?
Will one from a later revolver work even if fitting is needed,I have a good gunsmith friend who recently graduated from the full course gunsmith courses at Yavapai College who would replace it for me if I can find a good part.
Meanwhile as I'm not real computer savvy but I'll check into how to post some photos here

Thanks in advance for any and all help,
Larry

·
Premium Member
11,938 Posts
s/n 6463xx, with a 6" barrel, shipped 5/34.

·
Registered
6,670 Posts
The conventional wisdom is that 500000 shipped in 1927. Sure its not simply a weak spring? If not there are a number of sources, Jack First, Sarco, GunParts, surfing Gunbroker etc. Good one? There was a lot of handfitting involved and you will be buying salvage. I can not tell you if a Model 10 part is exactly the same. Someone here can and will.

·
Banned
1,473 Posts
Also the bolt or bolt/cylinder catch is loose and sloppy,does anyone know where I can find a good one?
Unlikely anything would be worn out other than the coil spring that provides tension for the cylinder latch. Replacing that should be child's play even for a beginner gunsmith. With disassembly instructions, you could probably do it yourself. Somebody has probably put together a disassembly video on You Tube.

·
Registered
27,090 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum!:)

Reactions: Oldgungeezer
1 - 11 of 11 Posts