Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently acquired a S&W model 17-4 in stainless steel with an 8" barrel. All of the information I have read states that all model 17-4's were blue and that the stainless versions are model 617. Can anyone provide me information on my model 17-4 stainless steel version? How many were made, Etc.?

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
Im not sure of production numbers, but a "silver colored" 17-4 could have a nickel finish from the factory. A picture would help tremendously. Otherwise, a previous owner may have had the gun refinished. Is the finish shiny or dull/matte? Are all of the stampings clear?

If it was stainless it would be a model 617, the 6 identifying it as stainless.

There are a bunch of experts here more learned than I. Again a picture is needed.

·
Registered
190 Posts
If it says "17-4" on the frame inside of the crane, then I am 100% sure it isn't stainless. I am not at home right now and I don't have access to my copy of the SCSW, but I don't think the factory cataloged a Model 17 in nickel. If it was originally produced in nickel, there will be a "N" stamped on the frame under the grips. Good, in focus close up pictures of the gun would help us to determine just what you have.

·
Registered
149 Posts
According to the SCSW 3rd Edition, the only nickel produced 17's were 15 in 1975 with 6" barrels, serial number range 1K3034-1K3655. Later in 1994, a few were assembled with stainless cylinders with two tone finish. Has to be a refinish on yours.

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
4th Edition says scarce and has a picture of a 6" barrel version like you mentioned bonedaddy. The 8" barrel is a head scratcher too.

·
Registered
19,777 Posts
A M-17 is steel but, how does the Nickle finish coating affect the magnetic properties??? Guess I could check my Nickle M-36........but I'm too lazy to go to the closet...then unlock the safe.....dig thru my pile of S&W's (4)....to get out the M-36. l;nfPNFIwnfiofnp Bob

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Nickel is magnetic too.

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
According to the SCSW 3rd Edition, the only nickel produced 17's were 15 in 1975 with 6" barrels, serial number range 1K3034-1K3655. Later in 1994, a few were assembled with stainless cylinders with two tone finish. Has to be a refinish on yours.
There's always SO's that aren't necessarily listed in SCSW. If it's not an obvious refin, only a letter will say for sure.

So, WE NEED PICS!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all of the information to check out. I am not very computer literate, but I will try to attach some pics.
1. The finish is what I would consider "not Bright"
2. all primary stampings are clear
3. I could not find an "N" stamped on the frame under the grips (see pics)
4. I tried a magnet and it was attracted to this 17-4 about the same as my mod 617. Stuck pretty well on both.
5. Let me know if there is anything else I can look at, Thanks again.
001.JPG
002.JPG
003 (2).JPG
005.JPG

I don't think my pics came out, like I said, I'm not very computer literate

Attachments

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
The nickeled hammer and trigger lead me to believe this is an aftermarket refinish. Is the ejector star blue or nickel colored?

I also note that none of the stamps are cut through the finish.

The pictures show bluish, I might believe it's chromed.

Here's a shot of a 22-5 with "standard" S&W nickel for comparison:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all of the information to check out. I am not very computer literate, but I will try to attach some pics.
1. The finish is what I would consider "not Bright"
2. all primary stampings are clear
3. I could not find an "N" stamped on the frame under the grips (see pics)
4. I tried a magnet and it was attracted to this 17-4 about the same as my mod 617. Stuck pretty well on both.
5. Let me know if there is anything else I can look at, Thanks again.
View attachment 443111
View attachment 443119
View attachment 443121
View attachment 443123

I don't think my pics came out, like I said, I'm not very computer literate
The star ejector is Blue

1 - 20 of 21 Posts