Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering if all model 14's came with the 3 T's, target hammer, target trigger and target grips, since they are called the Target Masterpiece. The no dash that I picked up a few months ago has all three but it's the only one I have personal experience with.

·
Premium Member
21,029 Posts
No. The K-38 Masterpiece was introduced in 1946. S&W didn't introduce the target hammer until 1949, the target trigger in 1955 and target grips were optional from 1950-51. The K-38 Masterpiece was never called the Target Masterpiece by S&W. It crept into the vernacular over time and is routinely being corrected by the collector community. Even the venerable Standard Catalog of S&W makes this mistake.

·
Registered
908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info. I carry mine with magna's and not the target grips. So does that mean the Model 15 was not the Combat Masterpiece? How do these phrases get to be so accepted?

·
Premium Member
21,029 Posts
Before 1958, it was just known as the Combat Masterpiece. In the days of bulletin boards and, later, the Internet, folks sometimes used incorrect terminology in order to convey information on what they were trying to identify or highlight. Supica and Nahas did terrific jobs on 4 editions of the Standard Catalog but somehow they corrected the header for the K-38 Masterpiece to remove "target" but didn't correct the body. So, it persists even after many, many eyes were on that book during its last editing over on the Blue Forum. Personally, I don't have a dog in this fight. But, you'll get multiple corrections over there by the Accuracy Nazi's if you misuse a name or number. I can see being precise if you are buying a S&W because they actually made some 4" Masterpieces which can get confused with Combat Masterpieces. So, you have to know they had Patridge front sights, not ramps.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
My no dash model 17 came with standard hammer and trigger. Also came with magna grips. I have a 4 screw pre-model 17 made up the same way.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts