Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently bought a s&w model 10 the serial number dates 1980 and I have been told the markings are I'm wondering about maybe export markings and I can't find another picture that has a gun with these markings ie(aa-521) there's c l 2994 right infront the trigger guard no pic yet have one on request

Attachments

·
Premium Member
906 Posts
Maybe a private firms “rack” number? Certainly doesn’t look like any kind of factory number. The serial number is stamped on the butt, and the edge of the cylinder. You can see that with the cylinder open. The “ WSS Quincy Il” is also not a factory stamp to my knowledge. I think you have a M&P that’s seen duty with one or more private security firms. Pure conjecture on my part. Hank

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Hank ty for the info cause I had some interest cause it was cheaper than the other ones that were for sale but they didn't have the markings I figured due to holster wear it had been a military issue but making sense of all the extra markings is helpful again ty for info Ill have too do some more looking into this armory

·
Premium Member
2,158 Posts
Hi Doc,
I agree w/Hank...rack number. I have one similar to yours crudely stamped in the same place with just three numbers. Large companies with their own security forces or private security outfits often stamp their own inventory numbers.

Maybe a company in Quincy, Illinois? Wackenhut Security Service??

·
Super Moderator
19,707 Posts
Me thinks ArkieVol is correct with the company it was owned by, and the stamp just above the trigger is a rack number.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Maybe a private firms “rack” number? Certainly doesn’t look like any kind of factory number. The serial number is stamped on the butt, and the edge of the cylinder. You can see that with the cylinder open. The “ WSS Quincy Il” is also not a factory stamp to my knowledge. I think you have a M&P that’s seen duty with one or more private security firms. Pure conjecture on my part. Hank
Williams Shooting Supply is in Quincy IL. (217) 222-4195. Giving them a call might answer your question where it came from.

·
Premium Member
12,695 Posts
May not be considered collectible because of such marking, but most of these were carried a lot, and shot very little. They make great inexpensive home defense guns and revolvers ideal for range shooting.

The quality of that gun likely exceeds what you'll find manufactured today, and you got it at a fraction of the cost of a new one.

Hope your's doesn't have much mechanical wear and has a nice trigger.

Reactions: Digger

·
Registered
5,419 Posts
The Smith Model 10 revolver is a re-import. Wss Quincy Il is Williams Shooters Supply in Quincy illinois Also known as the New Frontier Armory. FFL # 3.37-001-11-7L-02167.

they specialize in buying and re-importing older guns . they run them through their shop and repair as necessary the re sell, AA and the ### are rack or bin numbers on the re imports .

1 - 9 of 9 Posts