Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

I intend to get an S&W 67. Now I found a dealer with one in a very good condition for a good price.
Now I wonder about the qualities of the different series (-1, -2 etc.) respectively the different periods of production.
Are there differences or are they all more or less the same, also the very new ones?
The serial number of the mentioned mod.67 is 3K60813. There is also another number: 73671 SG 17 (but that one is maybe not relevant).
I checked a list on the net and if I got it right, it should be from the year 1971. Is that true? And what "dash"-series (-1, -2 …..) that would be?

·
Premium Member
10,740 Posts
The dash numbers reflect engineering changes made to the design over time. You can learn the specific details of what was changed by getting a copy of the newest "Standard Catalog of Smith and Wesson". It's a worthwhile book.

The long number you mentioned is probably an internal factory assembly number used while the revolver was being manufactured.

Most of us prefer the older Smith and Wesson revolvers because the workmanship was so good. If you have found one at a decent price, and it's in top mechanical and shooting condition, buy it.

Reactions: Leo918

·
Registered
149 Posts
All of the 67's no dash must not have had stainless rear sites, because as stated in the SCSW-3rd Edition, the Model 67 was introduced in 1972 and the first production change to 67-1 was in 1977 when a change was made to move the gas ring from the yoke to the cylinder.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you all. So it's highly probably going to be one of the new series. One more question: is the (new) mod.67 a round- or square butt frame?

·
Registered
22,002 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Post some pics when you get the 67.:)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I ordered the M67 today with the "original" grip on it (probably a Hogue with the S&W sign instead). At my dealer's I will try resp. compare it with a Hogue-Monogrip and decide which one it will be.
Yuo'll hear from me as soon as I've got it

1 - 13 of 13 Posts