Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have always thought the PPK was a nice looking gun, but never shot or even handled one and know little about them. I suppose the Walther made, Interarms and S&W versions all have their own plus and minuses. Saw this one today at the LGS. Felt great in my hand with those grips, but was a fair amount heavier than I expected. This one looked pretty nice, though I didn't give it much of an inspection. I believe it was $559 but may have been $595. Both seemed high to me but as I said, I have no idea. Would a S&W, Houlton Maine made PPK like this one be worth $550-600??
2019-12-30_15-18-56_606.jpg
643DDDC3-B38F-487E-A350-253CD54655CF.jpeg

·
Premium Member
10,754 Posts
They are not the same as the Walther guns (parts won't interchange) and many had early mechanical problems. They were recalled in 2009:

https://blog.cheaperthandirt.com/walther-ppk-ppks-product-recall-notice/

I avoid them.

The German, new American Walther and American (Ranger) manufactured PP and PPK pistols in .32acp and .380 (9mm kurz) are high quality, and what I'd recommend you look for.

Also, avoid the modern Walther .22LR versions of the PPK and PP pistols. They are not manufactured to the same standards as early .22lr WW-II era PP and PPK Suhl manufactured Walthers.

·
Registered
5,236 Posts
Smith Wesson entered into an agreement for Smith Wesson to produce the Smith Wesson 99 and the PPKs in the Holton Maine Plant. Basically Walther sent over parts and Smith Wesson made the frame and slide here in the USA . This agreement happened around the time the Smith Wesson Sigma SW9F lawsuit with Glock occured. These guns were made around 2000 to 2002. The Smith Wesson PPKs was prone to having feeding problems with anything except hardball FMJ round nose ammo. . Parts had to be fitted to each gun and were not drop in replaceable. . The contract was cancelled by Smith and Walther. Most Smith PPKs I have seen go for around $400 to $500 they don't have much collector value .

·
Registered
381 Posts
I have a S&W made PPKs that I bought used from a friend for $400. Nice gun, fits my hand like a glove, good shooter although a little heavy for a .380, but I would agree with the feed issues. Round nose, no problem, hollow point, not so much! So, that makes it a range gun, not an EDC for me.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts