Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have recently purchased an m681-1 .357 revolver; however, it is a double action only meaning I cannot lock the hammer back in the fire position. The gun does have the "M" stamped above the model number indicating it was modified back at the factory for a recall issue. Is the double action only something that was included in the factory recall modification and is it something I can have repaired to include the single action fire as well as double action?

·
Premium Member
18,887 Posts
welcome01 to the forums! Do you mean a 581? Does the hammer still have the hammer tang or has it been bobbed? Have you thoroughly cleaned the action? The M581 is a single and double action revolver so it should function in both modes unless it has been modified or is fouled. S&W would not have modified the action due to the recall unless it was specified by the owner when the gun was returned for service.

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
Perhaps some one with more knowledge than I could answer better, but in the past I have seen a couple of used P.D. M681's modified to DAO.

·
Registered
23,222 Posts
Usually (like Guy posted) if the single-action notch has been removed the hammer tang will have been also. Remove the side plate & check to see if the hammer has been modified, if you don't know the proper procedure either get someone knowledgeable or say so & we can either tell you how so you don't damage anything.

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
If I remember right, back in the days when Officers carried wheelguns, departments could order revolvers from S&W in DAO. Several large departments issued them. The ones I've run across have all been fixed sighted guns like yours. It could be converted back to conventional function but those parts have to hand fitted. They're not drop in.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts