Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Background: I bought the S&W M&P Shield EZ 9mm for concealed carry. Currently I'm using a Sig P938 Legion with a Sig (CT-made) LaserGrip (red) which I like a lot, as it is small, very accurate and comfortable. I carry in a IWB 1791 leather and an IWB VersaCarry (leather/kydex) holster (-opinions on holster are also welcome-) both of which I also have for this S&W M&P Shield EZ 9mm.

I'm sure this might elicit more controversy than any of the political drama we have in the news today... but hopefully without the politics and flame, I'd very much like to hear people's differing thoughts on whether to fit my M&P Shield EZ 9mm with:
a) LaserGrip (and Green or Red),
b) LaserGrip+Light,
c) CT Red Dot Sight or,
d) nothing.

Please speak from personal experience of either having one option and what you like/don't like and why you chose it over other options, and perhaps having used one of the options and swapped out for something else.

Thanks for all your expert advice in advance!

·
Premium Member
12,664 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

The only thing to add to your new pistol is personal training.

The rest of the stuff is bulky, gets in the way, and (other than the red dot) leads an attacker right back to you.

And no, dancing dots of laser light are only effective in the movies.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
d) --- Learn to use your gun effectively and safely and you won't need to waste money buying "stuff" to go on it. The grip safety and grip angle are different enough from your P938 that you need to practice a lot with the EZ. Switching back and forth could also mess you up if you are not an experienced, accomplished shooter.

I shoot .380 because of age and arthritis. I have a P238 and a Shield EZ in .380. I am an accomplished and experienced shooter but I still have to consciously switch mental gears if I'm shooting both guns in one range session. AND, for consistency, I only carry the SIG. I used a Vedder Light Tuck Kydex for carry, and have custom made leather OWB holsters for range use for that one plus my other guns.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Absolutely add B & C. If you don't have those, the gun is basically ineffective. And you should have night sights installed as well, along with four (minimum) extra magazines. Not sure if they've come out with a threaded barrel yet, but when (if) they do, pick one of those up, so you can put a muzzle brake on it also. Does anybody do Cerakoting in your area? Another mandatory addition...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
d) --- Learn to use your gun effectively and safely and you won't need to waste money buying "stuff" to go on it. The grip safety and grip angle are different enough from your P938 that you need to practice a lot with the EZ. Switching back and forth could also mess you up if you are not an experienced, accomplished shooter.

I shoot .380 because of age and arthritis. I have a P238 and a Shield EZ in .380. I am an accomplished and experienced shooter but I still have to consciously switch mental gears if I'm shooting both guns in one range session. AND, for consistency, I only carry the SIG. I used a Vedder Light Tuck Kydex for carry, and have custom made leather OWB holsters for range use for that one plus my other guns.
Good points. (And thanks for the lead on Vedder. Will check it out.)

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
OMCHamlin: The OP is a new member and asked a legitimate question. You responded with total sarcasm with not even an emoji to indicate that. This is no way to welcome new members.

In my opinion, of course.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Background: I bought the S&W M&P Shield EZ 9mm for concealed carry. Currently I'm using a Sig P938 Legion with a Sig (CT-made) LaserGrip (red) which I like a lot, as it is small, very accurate and comfortable. I carry in a IWB 1791 leather and an IWB VersaCarry (leather/kydex) holster (-opinions on holster are also welcome-) both of which I also have for this S&W M&P Shield EZ 9mm.

I'm sure this might elicit more controversy than any of the political drama we have in the news today... but hopefully without the politics and flame, I'd very much like to hear people's differing thoughts on whether to fit my M&P Shield EZ 9mm with:
a) LaserGrip (and Green or Red),
b) LaserGrip+Light,
c) CT Red Dot Sight or,
d) nothing.

Please speak from personal experience of either having one option and what you like/don't like and why you chose it over other options, and perhaps having used one of the options and swapped out for something else.

Thanks for all your expert advice in advance!
I have a 50% off code at Viridian for any of their lasers/lites. Let me know if you need it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Good points. (And thanks for the lead on Vedder. Will check it out.)
I checked out the IWB Vedder LightTuck. In my previous experience with KydexIWB holsters, they jab my sides and torso at the ends to the point of pain. It's just the sharp, unyielding Kydex and edges that's the problem. That's why I've been using 1791 (leather) and Versacarry (leather over Kydex.) Both are very wearable, though no IWB is "wear and forget" like a good OWB holster is. I don't mind being reminded that I am wearing an IWB holster, but I am not inclined towards self-flagelism (I leave that for other faith traditions) and this is my concern with a knife-thin, hard scabbard stuck inside and next to my torso... (I'm average height, weight and build, so there aren't any "extremes" to consider... if it doesn't fit me well, I can't imagine who it would...). Thanks for any further insights/comments...

·
Registered
27,107 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Practice, Practice, Practice. Adding to something you want to CC can make it potentially more cumbersome on the draw.. JMHO. ;)

Reactions: Boriqua

·
Registered
27,107 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts