Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does S&W still stamp the butt with a star prior to the serial number when returned to the factory for modification or repair?
The reason that I'm asking is because I have an old M&P from 1917 that has a 2" barrel with a star on the butt prior to the serial number.
All numbers match,even the barrel. I had it lettered a while back. I'll post a couple of pics of the gun and the letter. Just curious.
Stay safe my friends. Dick
Sewing machine Revolver Home appliance Kitchen appliance Material property
Handwriting Office supplies Office equipment Font Writing
Handwriting Office supplies Office equipment Font Writing

Attachments

·
Registered
6,787 Posts
In the 1968 timeframe they were still putting both the month/year and the open five pointed star under the handgrips I have not seen such factory work i.e. Frankenguns later than that. I do not know when they quit doing such. The last I heard they will not touch a gun lacking a model number.

Wiregrassguy where are you?

·
Premium Member
20,512 Posts
S&W quit stamping the star and repair dates around 1980. Dick's 1917 is the first I have seen with a factory 2" barrel and I find it extremely interesting to learn from the letter it was available in 1936. To my knowledge, S&W never produced a snub nosed .45 until modern times. My guess is that S&W custom made Dick's barrel just for that gun.

The last I heard they will not touch a gun lacking a model number.
S&W will not work on any of their guns that are "obsolete" whether or not it has a model number. That is basically any revolver that they are no longer producing for sale. The reason they state is they no longer have parts for them. At least, that was what they told me after holding my model-marked K-32 Model 16 for 6 months after they sent me a return label to do repairs on it.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
S&W quit stamping the star and repair dates around 1980. Dick's 1917 is the first I have seen with a factory 2" barrel and I find it extremely interesting to learn from the letter it was available in 1936. To my knowledge, S&W never produced a snub nosed .45 until modern times. My guess is that S&W custom made Dick's barrel just for that gun.

S&W will not work on any of their guns that are "obsolete" whether or not it has a model number. That is basically any revolver that they are no longer producing for sale. The reason they state is they no longer have parts for them. At least, that was what they told me after holding my model-marked K-32 Model 16 for 6 months after they sent me a return label to do repairs on it.
Read it again Guy. It is an M&P, made in 1917, not a model 1917

·
Premium Member
20,512 Posts
Okay. Been distracted lately from Forum events. S&W will not work on it currently because it is obsolete.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts