Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have here what I believe to be a pair of original Military & Police 1905 pistols in excellent condition. I have very little knowledge of value, however, considering the SUPER nice condition they're in and the fact that they are a matched pair with consecutive serial numbers. Serial numbers are C66xxx. I know the grips are incorrect; they should be checkered walnut (I will gladly find two pairs if they'll significantly affect the value of the pair of revolvers). What is the significance of the "C" in the serial number? What is the approximate value of the set? Both HAVE been fired, but VERY, VERY few times. These have been safe queens the VAST majority of their 115 year lives, and it shows. They polish up absolutely beautifully.

I thank everyone greatly in advance for any input and information you may have about these beauties!

Todd

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Very Nice! The C series marked the beginning of the 3rd million of the M&P's being produced. Your revolvers were made after the end of WW2. I dont have my reference handy but I would guess 48-49
I appreciate your input! I guess I was hoping they were the TRUE originals with that low of serial numbers, but had never considered the possibility that the C indicated the beginning of the third million of production.... So, not NEARLY as old as I had thought....... Any idea of value? Thanks again!!!

·
Registered
8,207 Posts
Reactions: OutdoorsAndMore

·
Premium Member
20,736 Posts
Welcome to the forums from the Wiregrass! Your pair of .38 Military & Police revolvers (not 1905, but ancestor) were made in 1949, a vintage year that I was born in.;) In 1958, they would be model marked as Model 10's. The case coloring on the hammers and one trigger is remarkable considering the age of these guns. They must have been out of the sunlight as it erases case coloring over time. I won't dispute Del's valuation because they are a set. They may even bring more at auction with period correct grips. The C series of serials began in 1948 and introduced the short throw (speed hammer) action with a "fish hook" hammer tang. The grips are likely Jay Scott faux stags. Yuck! You should be looking for "sharp shouldered" magnas that have black or blue medallion washers. The lack of original grips is a value loss but you might be able to recoup some value with period correct grips. Expect them to cost you in the $150-200 range for each revolver because their condition needs to match the condition of the guns which is Very Good. If you inherited this pair-congratulations!

The grips below are sharp shouldered magnas. Notice the ridge at the top of the grips next to the frame knuckle. They also have a diamond around the escutcheon. That's what would have been on these guns originally.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks VERY much, Wiregrass! I sincerely appreciate this information! They are gorgeous, but you're right, the faux stag is absolutely hideous.....an abomination to the beauty of the revolvers themselves! I'll definitely have to be on the lookout for some grips!

·
Registered
8,207 Posts
Thanks very much for the information!!

If they were ordered as a pair, how does that affect their value?
If an ordered consecutive pair, they'd be worth somewhat more. Some collectors like getting consecutive pairs.

·
Premium Member
20,736 Posts
Thanks very much for the information!!

If they were ordered as a pair, how does that affect their value?
First of all, I think Del's valuation is reasonable if they are sold as a pair of sequentially numbered guns. Singly, they might bring $500-600 with period correct grips on them. S&W made so many of these M&P's that they don't reach the elevated valuations of some other guns. All that being said, your market is narrowed by only selling them as a pair. You'll likely have to sell them at auction so you can attract the right buyer and hope you get "buyers" that compete against one another. Also, the letter is key for highest value if it comes back that they left the factory together as a pair. Not likely but one never knows. My guess is they were shipped together to a distributor or dealer and got sold to an individual who kept them together. The down side for you is they are not pristine, although they look very good, and are missing the original grips.

·
Registered
Vigilant Curmudgeon
162 Posts
I love those. My kinda' revolvers. I bet the actions of those 2 is like Butta'.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts