Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a S&W Highway Patrolman Model 28-2, N frame, 4" bbl., Serial # S 2644XX that I bought used, and carried on the P.D. during my last 25 year service period. Great gun, extremely accurate, and never failed me. (We had to buy our own gear back then). When the younger guys started carrying their Dept. issued autos and ribbed me, I definately felt a little "older", but held onto my S&W. I may be retired, but my faithful old Model 28 is still doing duty as a house & farm gun. Someone, for what ever reason, sure let a good one get away. I was just wondering when it was made. Anyone know approx. mfg. date?
Thanks.

·
Registered
563 Posts
i just inherited a m29 monday. paperwork inside the box was dated 1974. looking foward to shooting mine.
sn is 289xxx.

·
Registered
464 Posts
grasshopper, your gun was shipped in 1966.

Jack, is your serial number preceeded with an S or N? Makes a big difference. HTH

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Much thanks for the info. I got it around 1970. Before that I carried a .38/44 N frame. The highway Patrolman had better sights and was more accurate, so I switched.

·
Registered
3,421 Posts
I always take a bit of ribbing from some of the guys I work with who carry Glocks and wondernines as their concealed carry guns while I prefer revolvers and one of mine is a 3 1/2 inch 27-2. Remember that your 28-2 is just the dressed down version of the Model 27, the ORIGINAL .357 Magnum and the FBI's carry gun in its infancy. There was never anything wrong with the .357 Magnum as a defensive round, just some want more of the little bullets vs a few of the more powerful ones. Here in NY where you still can't more than 10 rounds anyway, those six .357's to me would be much more comfofting than ten 9mm's.

·
Registered
563 Posts
diamondback: my sn is n289xxx. if the :born date: is not '74 i would appreciate knowing since this is a "family" gun.

·
Registered
464 Posts
phonejack said:
diamondback: my sn is n289xxx. if the :born date: is not '74 i would appreciate knowing since this is a "family" gun.
Yours is more like 1976.

·
Registered
265 Posts
My data base shows that S264934 shipped 5/'65.

S&W did not keep records based upon build or manufactured dates only on ship dates.

·
Registered
265 Posts
4521dln said:
aztenx what data base do you use to check ship dates? i have one with a serial # bhf5921 thanks 4521dln
I use my own data base of dates based on responses from Roy Jinks. Sorry but I don't currently have any numbers close to yours.

·
Registered
265 Posts
BruceM said:
How about "The Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson, 3rd Ed."

;)

Bruce
The "book" is not completely accurate. The dates were based on supposition and not on actual ship dates because shipments were not made in chronological serial number order.

·
Registered
9,504 Posts
Grasshopper, looks like you're getting lots of help on determining the exact vintage on your 28-2. So I will comment on the Highway Patrolman revolver, of which I have two. Boh deliver better accuracy than I am capable of, so glad to hear from someone else who appreciates such capability. . .Hank

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello, I’m new to this forum and I’m trying to identify the year of my S&W Highway Patrolman 28-2 pistol that was given to me by my father that just passed. The serial# inside the yolk is N509xxx. I believe he said he bought it either 1978 or 1979. I’m wondering if it is really that old and he took amazing care of it or he was mistaken of the year he bought it. Any help on the information of this pistol will be so appreciated. He was my hero and loved by many people for his service in the Vietnam War and his help and dedication to his friends and family. Thank for reading this and much more thanks for any help.
Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Wood Gun accessory

·
Premium Member
20,347 Posts
Welcome to the forums from the Wiregrass! My condolences on your loss. Your father had a good memory. The N500000 series of serials ran from 1978 to 1980.

Reactions: Blackcloud2

·
Registered
5 Posts
Wow, that is amazing! Thank you so much for finding that out. He said that he bought it the same year as his Harley Davidson and I remembered thinking that it was a 78 or 79 model. It’s good to know he was on point with the year he got this pistol because he was such a joker/kidder. It was hard to believe a lot of things he said, but all in good fun. He always made sure we were laughing and having a good time. Thank you for your time and effort on finding this information. If there is anymore information you would like to know about the pistol please let me know. Also, are you able to verify other information about different pistols and rifles, or do you only have information for S&W firearms? I have other firearms that were in his will that I received.

·
Premium Member
20,347 Posts
I can't help you with anything but S&W handguns. However, we have a lot of members here who know about other makes. There are subforums here for non-S&W guns. You might post some pictures and info there.

Reactions: Blackcloud2
1 - 20 of 23 Posts