Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a S&W hand ejector revolver at a local gun shop years ago and am trying to get some info on this gun. It is chambered in 32 long (or 32 S&W long). It is a 6 shot double action revolver in excellent condition and the barrel is stamped 32 long. I could find no model number on the gun and the serial number is 571971. I contacted S&W customer service and they informed me that this is a pre-model? and is either a model 31 or 32 but they weren't sure which. They also stated that it was probably manufactured between 1946-1950 (maybe 1948?) but couldn't give me an exact year. I am trying to find out an exact model number and exact year of manufacture. If anyone out there can help me with this I would appreciate it. Attached are a couple of photos. Thanks!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
11,463 Posts
If it is a six shot it is not a Model 32. It is either a pre model 30 or 31. Serial numbers for those ranged between 536685 - 712953 and from 1946 - 1960.

I have a Model 30-1 that shipped in 1970.

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
Hey Butch,

Welcome to S&W!

Way to GO! Pics of a great looking .32...........on your first post!

Your revolver does not have a "Model #/Designation"... S&W started that after your fine revolver was made.

Later, Mark

Reactions: jeepnut

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
It is an early pre model 30 because of the round butt. If there is no strain screw at the bottom of the front grip it is an improved I frame. The round front sight, cylinder release design and Magna style grips date it to around 1948-52. You can check to see if the grips are original by removing them to see if the number on the inside of the right panel matches the serial number of the gun, which is on the butt. The serial number will also help to pin down a date. If you don't want to post it entirely X out the last three numbers, like this 123xxx.
And welcome to the forum. Nice revolver!
John

·
Premium Member
11,463 Posts
.....and welcome to the forum.:coffee:

·
Registered
12,405 Posts
Nice shooter! Welcome from Florida

·
Premium Member
make mine 45 acp 😎
3,960 Posts
welcome y'all ! Its simply called a .32 Hand Ejector, and would be a pre-Model 30, with the five screw frame. I've seen a letter for 572xxx at 1952 so yours is right about there.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It is an early pre model 30 because of the round butt. If there is no strain screw at the bottom of the front grip it is an improved I frame. The round front sight, cylinder release design and Magna style grips date it to around 1948-52. You can check to see if the grips are original by removing them to see if the number on the inside of the right panel matches the serial number of the gun, which is on the butt. The serial number will also help to pin down a date. If you don't want to post it entirely X out the last three numbers, like this 123xxx.
And welcome to the forum. Nice revolver!
John

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the info! I'll check it out. From what I can tell it was made around 1948 per S&W site and other posts.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ty. It is in 95-98% condition and appears to function fine although I have not fired it. Rifling looks brand new and bluing is in excellent shape. Grips are very nice with a few light handling marks. It doesn't appear to have been fired much.

·
Registered
12,405 Posts
I have found that most guns of this type and from that era are what I would call a "sock drawer" gun. They were bought for home defense and placed in a sock drawer for safe keeping. Most of the public from that time frame, especially those who lived in cities didn't have the time, money or locations to shoot regularly so these guns mostly sat until the owners passed and the kids discovered it........These are usually in great shape (although they may need to have the sideplate removed and a little cleaning and lubing done)

Reactions: Cliff

·
Registered
214 Posts
I have one of those from 55. With factory ammo it’s a really fun little gun to shoot. I bought some 32 long at a gun show that was quite a bit hotter. I’d like to get a square butt pre 31

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have found that most guns of this type and from that era are what I would call a "sock drawer" gun. They were bought for home defense and placed in a sock drawer for safe keeping. Most of the public from that time frame, especially those who lived in cities didn't have the time, money or locations to shoot regularly so these guns mostly sat until the owners passed and the kids discovered it........These are usually in great shape (although they may need to have the sideplate removed and a little cleaning and lubing done)
Thanks! I believe mine was a sock drawer gun. My Dad kept a Colt 1903 32 acp in his "sock" drawer for home defense.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts