Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a brand new Governor, and I'm experiencing misfires on two types of 410 ammo. Is this something that the dealer should look into (perhaps firing pin not hitting hard enough)? Are some 410 cartridges more preferred? I have three S&W revolvers and an AR Sport, and the quality has always been excellent.

Thank you
Ian

·
Premium Member
18,890 Posts
welcome01 to the forums from the Wiregrass! Did you clean the gun before shooting it? There may be some dried lube in the action. Also, check that the mainspring strain screw is fully tightened.

I don't own nor have I fired a Governor. Perhaps someone else who owns one can be more helpful. Being a handloader, I know that some primers are harder than others. It may be the shotshell primers are too hard. Do you see a strike on them?

Reactions: Oldgungeezer

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did not clean the gun first, but there was definitely a strike on the ammo. I'll bring it all back to the dealer, who suggested the Governor in the first place. I'm not sure I'm qualified to get into the mechanism that you described. Thank you!

·
Premium Member
18,890 Posts
You don't have to open the gun up to clean it. Get some brake / Parts / carb aerosol spray and flush out the action through the hammer and Trigger openings. Then put 5 drops of gun oil into the action. To check the tension on the mainspring , just take the grips off and check the screw at the front toe of the grip frame. It should be tight.

Guy

Reactions: Oldgungeezer

·
Registered
10,625 Posts
Someone pointed out recently that ammo manufacturers are making 410 ammo specifically for home defense guns such as yours. I'm wondering, are you using plain old 410 shotgun ammo for bird hunting? Thinking that it might have to do with the hard primers Wiregrass spoke of. I'm no help, I've not have a Governor or a Judge for that matter. Whatever you come up with, let us know the outcome, we're always interested! BC2

·
Premium Member
2,857 Posts
I'm in agreement with what has been said... specialized .410 ammo for the Taurus Judge came out when the gun hit the market before S&W copied it, so I'd be willing to put money on it that the primer on some conventional .410 shot shells are too hard to reliably ignite in a handgun, if everything else checks out on your gun, such as the mainspring strain screw being tightened down and nothing present that is impeding either the hammer strike of firing pin travel.

There is one enhancement that I now routinely do for all of my newer S&W's with the frame mounted firing pin, I install the Apex Tactical XP firing pin kit, which consists of a hardened firing with a longer travel and reshaped tip, and a reduced power return spring. Between the two, it imparts additional/concentrated force on primers... it has proven it's worth on my 625-8 that used to misfire with some brands of ammo after a Wolff reduced power mainspring was installed.

·
Registered
10,625 Posts
wiregrassguy has the right potion BUT, be advised to remove the grips BEFORE spraying solvents into the action.
Not to second guess Guy but, don't ask me how I learned this lesson years ago!. Nick
YUP!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you all for your input. Will def look into S&W preferred ammo, but may hold off tinkering the gun. I feel fully capable but don't want to void the warranty. Again, thanks for all the feedback!

·
Registered
14,235 Posts
Kind of following along here, I have a Bond Snakeslayer that is chambered 45LC 410 and it eats any 410 shotshell no matter what brand, even homeloads.

·
Premium Member
2,857 Posts
Kind of following along here, I have a Bond Snakeslayer that is chambered 45LC 410 and it eats any 410 shotshell no matter what brand, even homeloads.
Keep in mind that the Governor is a DA revolver, where the Bond is a single action Derringer style action, designed to fire stuff from .22LR to 45-70 just by swapping barrels. If it's anything like other Derringer actions, the mainspring is probably quite stout and capable of setting off a dang howitzer shell ;)

Reactions: Injunbro

·
Registered
14,235 Posts
Keep in mind that the Governor is a DA revolver, where the Bond is a single action Derringer style action, designed to fire stuff from .22LR to 45-70 just by swapping barrels. If it's anything like other Derringer actions, the mainspring is probably quite stout and capable of setting off a dang howitzer shell ;)
You may be correct, I don't know. I do know touching it off, it 'feels' like a howitzer.....lol

Don't believe the ad Bond puts out with the bimbo blonde pulling the trigger on the perp. She's headed for a sucker punch in the forehead...that sucker kicks hard.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just purchased a brand new Governor, and I'm experiencing misfires on two types of 410 ammo. Is this something that the dealer should look into (perhaps firing pin not hitting hard enough)? Are some 410 cartridges more preferred? I have three S&W revolvers and an AR Sport, and the quality has always been excellent.

Thank you
Ian
The problem is the brass on some 410 shells is not long enough to seat well into the cylinder and will jam or misfire. When it jams you will have to try and push the round back into the cylinder to release it. But from the expansion of the brass makes it difficult. Just bought one and loaded with Fiocchi #7 jammed first shot brand new. 11-02-2020

·
Registered
14 Posts
If you've got a good solid dent in the primers, and they didn't go off, then it's the ammo (compare with primers in shells that worked). If the dent is light (again, compare with shells that worked), then the gun is not making a heavy enough strike, or the primers for that particular ammo are just too hard.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts