Smith And Wesson Forums banner
21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
I'll stick with my affordable Mossberg 500
The Mossberg 500 Persuader Pistol Grip model was my first gun. Got it on sale for somewhere in the low $200s. I "broke" it 10 years ago dry-cocking it in youtube rap videos (then I had kids and quit the foolishness) but held onto it. Fixed it by replacing a bearing in the safety about 3 years ago, works perfectly. If I had money to burn I'd Definitely get the S&W Bullpup!

·
Registered
Stock Up & Stay Safe!
23 Posts
OK, kinda late to the party but here goes...

I know a good 95% or more of shooters wouldn't touch this new M&P 12 with a good 300+ grain rifled slug, and it IS a "knock-off" (albeit very much improved) design & function of the Kel-Tec KSG, but...
Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Shotgun Machine gun

We picked up this bullpup shotgun primarily for range fun with mini shot shells, and it is a (wait for it) "blast" especially for the little Mrs. to use. Got this around the same time as a 610 10mm for myself, and we have run both 2 3/4 and mini's in it (buck, bird, and slugs) and it handles much better than even a newer model KSG. Bare in mind that our HD shotguns will still maintain their billeted position in the order of things in and around the house (Benelli M4, M3, and SuperNova Tacticals and a Berretta 1301 Tactical for my Wife), but we're actually liking this thing pretty much. She wanted a red dot "doughnut of death" (EOTECH 512) and a light on it (Crimson Trace M-Lock w/ remote switch), so we patched together this set-up while we wait on possible after-market stuff (like with what happened with the KSG). I threw on a Carlson's Breacher Choke (Remington-type), and a pair of Magpul BUIS's and QD sling swivels, and we have some A-Zoom 12ga snap caps for her to work with at home. Here are some pics if you haven't seen any around yet...
Machine gun Air gun Trigger Shotgun Gun barrel
Machine gun Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory
Air gun Trigger Machine gun Gun barrel Recreation
Air gun Trigger Machine gun Gun barrel Shotgun
Trigger Machine gun Gun barrel Gas Machine
Machine gun Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory

The M&P 12 is a bit heavier and more sturdier than the KSG, but it soaks up 2 3/4 buck and slug recoil like a champ and the mini shot shells have literally NO felt recoil for both the Mrs. and myself (as well as others one the range who wanted to try it out). With the included and VERY secured foregrip handle, the chances of "short-stroking" this thing is very much reduced thanks to the design and form. The barrel select switch is much easier to manipulate to switch tubes then even a KSG with an extended lever/switch IMO by hand. We've go tit down to just starting with the Left tube until empty and then switch to the Right tube with a simple "chest bump" without releasing the grips. Have not tried it without the front foregrip yet, as there is not much to keep one's hand from getting "KSG'd" like that one guy who's hand slipped out in front of a fired shot shell (probably speed dumping shells...). More pics following...
Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Shotgun Machine gun Machine gun Air gun Trigger Shotgun Gun barrel Machine gun Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Air gun Trigger Machine gun Gun barrel Recreation Air gun Trigger Machine gun Gun barrel Shotgun Trigger Machine gun Gun barrel Gas Machine Machine gun Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory

·
Registered
Stock Up & Stay Safe!
23 Posts
Trying to see how best to upload pics on the PC/network I'm using. Test...

Alright, this u-g-l-y contest contestant breaks down pretty easy (as seen in the S&W product video) with an included take-down or grip tool for basic maintenance and cleaning. The "Lanyard Frame Tool" can also be substituted with something similar in size and shape like a small or thin punch, which will keep the tool in place heling to secure the palm swell grip size of choice secured to the main grip handle. Three ( 3 ) main components: Upper Receiver Assembly, Lower Receiver Assembly, and the Bolt itself (which does not require disassembling). The shell tubes are both easily accessible as is the chamber and barrel tube, and the rest of the thing is mostly maintenance free (thus far...) as the Mrs. has an easier time knocking out a field strip on the M&P 12 than on her 1301 Tac.

Attachments

Reactions: cjt50

·
Registered
18,885 Posts
I could just see a person in bed and a perp comes through the bedroom door and anyone getting that lumbering gun up and shooting. Any perp would have turned you into a screen door by the time you got it in firing position.

I much prefer my Kimber 45 over anything else. It's right there loaded and in battery and read to go on a second. You can keep all those bull pups or whatever they are. I'll have a couple center mass rounds off before you can even get that monstrosity read to fire and don't tell me you can pull the trigger without something to stop the recoil because I'll call you a liar.

Reactions: AIRB0RNE6176

·
Registered
Stock Up & Stay Safe!
23 Posts
The recoil of the M&P 12 shooting 2 3/4 shells is on par with the M3 and SuperNova (all are pumps), but the mini's are going to be what is mostly fed into it as they had way less recoil than a 20ga shotgun. The "Mrs." is petite and she can handle 12ga 2 3/4 shells on her 1301 Tac, but she really likes the mini's for a pump gun (at least on the range from 10 to 15 yards). Her muscle memory is tuned to that 1301 Tac however, and she's pretty good and quick with it...

As for HD usage, we have a pretty good assortment of gear from the bedside to just about everywhere in the house and on the property. If something (or someone) goes "bump" in the night in our camp, we can draw a bead on them in good fashion with various ranged & purposed firearms (including a few Kimber's and shotguns that are locked 'n loaded and ready to... heaven forbid). As bulky as a shotgun of any type may be to some, they compliment our handguns for HD.

·
Registered
18,885 Posts
Trying to picture either you or your wife laying in bed, shooting a bull pup 12 gauge. For some reason the picture won't focus. Guess you could cradle the buttstock under your chin and hope for the best.

·
Registered
Stock Up & Stay Safe!
23 Posts
..."we have a pretty good assortment of gear from the bedside to just about everywhere in the house and on the property."

Obviously, a shotgun (of any design) will NOT be the first firearm either of us will reach for in case of a home intrusion and we're in bed. We would go for the night stand handgun(s) w/ light, laser, or both to access the situation, then "fight" our way to a shotgun if the situation required more "oomph". I personally keep BOTH an FNX-45 Tac and an HK45 Tac at and near the main bed, and the M3 not too much further than 4ft away. Everything else is everywhere else, if needed...

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
I could just see a person in bed and a perp comes through the bedroom door and anyone getting that lumbering gun up and shooting. Any perp would have turned you into a screen door by the time you got it in firing position.

I much prefer my Kimber 45 over anything else. It's right there loaded and in battery and read to go on a second. You can keep all those bull pups or whatever they are. I'll have a couple center mass rounds off before you can even get that monstrosity read to fire and don't tell me you can pull the trigger without something to stop the recoil because I'll call you a liar.
All true. I can't understand ANYONE buying one. Just to play toy war I guess. Like you I could empty half a magazine or revolver before that "thing" could be out into action. And you don't have to pump a 1911 or DA revolver.

·
Registered
Stock Up & Stay Safe!
23 Posts
..."We picked up this bullpup shotgun primarily for range fun with mini shot shells."

I know it's a "Smith & Wesson" web forum and that most here are handgun users, but I'm just providing some feedback on Smith's M&P 12. I don't intend to change our HD SOP because of it, as the handguns we have would be first choice before the shotguns, rifles, and sharp sticks. I also don't intend to change the opinions of those on this, or any, firearm forum. My six ( 6 ) combat deployments have kind of set me in my ways in regards to firearms, and my last 2 involved actually involved 12ga usage (M1014's) so I like shotguns bring to the fight. Smith & Wesson makes outstanding gear and my 610 is my first revolver, so I figured I'd give the M&P 12 a go for some chuckles on the range. Plus, it makes the Mrs. happy as a bonus...

Reactions: CitySlicker

·
Premium Member
12,179 Posts
No thanks, S&W.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
I still say the main thing wrong with it is the price, which is around 4-1/2 times what I paid for my twin Mossberg Maverick 88 security shotguns. Yes, it is bulky and a little awkward looking, but so are others in its class.

Street prices dropped a little right after introduction, but then they went right back up again. No hope that I could ever afford one so it matters little to me how it performs. :unsure:

·
Registered
115 Posts

I do a bit of instructing and it's AMAZING to me how bad people are with a handgun though. I'd venture to guess that 75% or more of people that carry a handgun can't hit the broadside of the barn with it at even 5 - 7 yards.

Switch to a long gun, however, and even the least skilled person can hit very effectively at close ranges. That's the benefit of a long gun like this...be it an AR platform or a shotgun.

Personally, I think a 12 gauge shotgun is the best home defense tool overall. It has a lot going for it:

1. Much more powerful than any handgun round at close range (00 buckshot)
2. Much less likely to over penetrate walls than any handgun or rifle round
3. Fairly quiet compared to handguns and especially rifles
4. Most people are much more accurate with a shotgun at close range than a handgun

Now whether someone needs this tacti-cool shotgun, that's another story. I have an 870 for that purpose with an extended mag tube and an 18" barrel. But believe me, this shotgun will be VERY effective and more effective than a handgun for (most) people I think in a home defense situation.

·
Registered
Stock Up & Stay Safe!
23 Posts
The 870 and 590 have been around since the Red Sea parted, and they (& their different versions) are still just as great as an HD or LE shotgun can be.

As a "belt-fed" Marine for my first 4 years in the 'Corps (0331), I didn't appreciate the shotgun until MSG School and Embassy Duty with the 870. Man, that thing can do it all... I would later be swept away by the "Italian Ladies" from Beretta/Benelli, which is why we've got the 1301, M4, M3, and SuperNova (all tactical/combat config'd for HD).

No knock on the 500/590 & 870 in any way, as I said, they are amazing pump guns. This M&P 12 doesn't have the track record (or even features) of the others listed, so it's a "niche" firearm that we picked up for craps & giggles. Would I deploy or track/take down perps with it...? No. But I would shoot some shells with it to humor family and friends (& this forum).:D
Air gun Machine gun Trigger Shotgun Gun barrel

Reactions: CitySlicker

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
I do a bit of instructing and it's AMAZING to me how bad people are with a handgun though. I'd venture to guess that 75% or more of people that carry a handgun can't hit the broadside of the barn with it at even 5 - 7 yards.

Switch to a long gun, however, and even the least skilled person can hit very effectively at close ranges. That's the benefit of a long gun like this...be it an AR platform or a shotgun.

Personally, I think a 12 gauge shotgun is the best home defense tool overall. It has a lot going for it:

1. Much more powerful than any handgun round at close range (00 buckshot)
2. Much less likely to over penetrate walls than any handgun or rifle round
3. Fairly quiet compared to handguns and especially rifles
4. Most people are much more accurate with a shotgun at close range than a handgun

Now whether someone needs this tacti-cool shotgun, that's another story. I have an 870 for that purpose with an extended mag tube and an 18" barrel. But believe me, this shotgun will be VERY effective and more effective than a handgun for (most) people I think in a home defense situation.
A lot of people couldn't hit a barn with a machine gun. OOB IS NOT good in the house. 1 OOB can penetrate 2-3 sheetrock walls unless it hits a stud.

·
Registered
614 Posts
I have to look at that and wonder; "Who let THAT get past the Power Point stage??"
But then I think; should I get one and leave it untouched in the box? ...Nah...

Still, all in all, they are moving to TN, so there is that I suppose...

21 - 40 of 47 Posts