Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
21,089 Posts
Welcome to the forums from the Wiregrass! You have a .32 Long Hand Ejector, Model 1903, 1st Change that was made around 1905. The pre-WWII .32 Hand Ejectors are built on the small I frame. Things like replacement grips are getting hard to find and it appears your hard rubber grips are quite worn to the point where the checkering is gone. If you take them off for cleaning, DO NOT pry them or you will break the bottoms off where the grip pin engages the grip panel to hold it in place. Loosen the grip screw and then push on the screw head to pop off the right panel. Then, you can push off the left panel through the frame. The serial number of the gun should be scratched into the right panel. Grips were hand fitted to the gun back then and the serial number on the right panel was used to keep the gun and grips together during the manufacturing process. If the grip serial matches the gun, the grips are original to the gun.

Congratulations on an early example of the S&W I frame. We don't often see the .32 HE in a 6" barrel. It should make a fine display.

Reactions: Leo918

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Nice older s&w. I could have done without the notice attached to the pics, sensitive content
Not recomended for under 18.
Cliff

·
Premium Member
21,089 Posts
Yeah, I see it as well. Just click on SHOW CONTENT and the picture opens. Must be some setting on the hosting site. Ooops, that's this site. Hmmmm.

·
Super Moderator
36,040 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

I also saw the image, so yes probably a setting somewhere.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Welcome to the forums from the Wiregrass! You have a .32 Long Hand Ejector, Model 1903, 1st Change that was made around 1905. The pre-WWII .32 Hand Ejectors are built on the small I frame. Things like replacement grips are getting hard to find and it appears your hard rubber grips are quite worn to the point where the checkering is gone. If you take them off for cleaning, DO NOT pry them or you will break the bottoms off where the grip pin engages the grip panel to hold it in place. Loosen the grip screw and then push on the screw head to pop off the right panel. Then, you can push off the left panel through the frame. The serial number of the gun should be scratched into the right panel. Grips were hand fitted to the gun back then and the serial number on the right panel was used to keep the gun and grips together during the manufacturing process. If the grip serial matches the gun, the grips are original to the gun.

Congratulations on an early example of the S&W I frame. We don't often see the .32 HE in a 6" barrel. It should make a fine display.
Thank you so much for info. I want to put the info on the display on a metal engraving so that is perfect!!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts