Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope this is the right place to post this?
I recently sent my S&W 4" model 25-5(non-pinned/1980s) back to Smith for some repairs(I had bulged the cylinder from some bad handloads). Last week I was contacted ty a gentleman calling himself "Vito". He was worried about removing my barrel and suggested I go to a 5" barrel. I wasn't for this, I bought this gun because it was a very good length for packing and stated so. He wanted to cut my barrel off and use an easy out to remove the stub, he told me that older S&Ws were always possible to split the frames while removing the barrels? He also stated the cylinder he tried in my gun(not the cylinder that would be installed in my gun) would have a B/C gap out of spec .009"(his reason for wanting to remove the barrel)? I now own S&Ws with more cylinder gap than this, straight from the factory?
I also sent with this gun a standard combat trigger and hammer to be installed with repair(at the same time). He informed me that the cocking notch looked to be out of spec and would probably push off if installed?
This isn't my first experience with S&Ws and not my first experience with haviong one repaired by the factory and I pretty sure this man was the repairman other times?
Sounds to me like he's trying to sell me a new barrel and not install the hammer?
What would the difference be between using an easy out and using a proper fitting jig to remove the barrel(if it even needs to be removed)? Couldn't he use a hard stone to deepen the cocking notch in the hammer?

Puzzled with S&W repair center, Steve

·
Administrator
8,097 Posts
Steve,
I'm going to defer to 500MN on your questions, but this post would be better served in the gunsmithing section. I'll move it there for you.

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
Vito knows his stuff. I would defer to his judgement.

However, if you'd like a second opinion, ask for Jeff Whitehouse or Larry Bradway.

Good Luck.

Drew

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thankyou Carl.
Drew, I know from your posts you're close with these guys but, some of us are not and have trouble with this sort of thing. I never questioned his knowledge of S&Ws. Guess I'm just not a chosen one?
Steve

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
S.B. said:
Thankyou Carl.
Drew, I know from your posts you're close with these guys but, some of us are not and have trouble with this sort of thing. I never questioned his knowledge of S&Ws. Guess I'm just not a chosen one?
Steve
Steve,

Respectfully, I don't think it's anything like that.... I would bet that there's something else wrong that may have developed at the same time your cylinder was damaged.

The later, non-pinned barrels are "crush fit" and sometimes they will come out, sometimes they won't. I suspect that Vito tried and was not able to remove your barrel using normal procedures. Any possible damage or ruining the frame is something he is trying to avoid at all costs.... it would be on him if he cracked or sprung the frame trying to perform a repair / modification that you had authorized.

Vito works on literally hundreds of guns a week and I don't believe that selling you a barrel is high on his agenda. In fact, I'll bet that the 5" tube he offered you is for a 25-7 and is from his "Secret Stash of Impossible to Find Parts"....

Lastly, he has corporate constraints that establish guidelines for what he can and cannot do with regard to liability. Fitting used parts is not something that S&W likes to do for this reason. Your trigger is a good example. If it's been fitted before, he may not be allowed to use it as a function of policy.

I'm not really 'close' to these guys, but I do know I trust them to work on my guns and I'm very particular.

All I know is that they can do a better job than I can.

If you're not happy with their response I don't think that they would be adverse to returning your revolver to you so that perhaps you could have a non-factory gunsmith work on it.

I do so hope this works out for you. Again, with all respect, what may seem like a simple problem to you may not really be so due to situational complexities you may not be aware of.

Best regards,

Drew

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's not a problem with the trigger I sent but, the hammer?
Steve

·
Registered
753 Posts
The Performance Center guys are good and they know their craft. The gun is in need of major repair and it could not be at a better place.

When the cylinder gets replaced, then the barrel must be removed and turned to reset the cylinder air gap. If he can't undo the barrel, then this is why he wants to cut it off. It's unfortunate but I'd take the mans professional opinion that he must do it or he will damage the frame.
Also you want the trigger and hammer replaced with something used. If the hammer is damaged, it can't be fixed, only replaced. The trigger could be stoned to working condition, but again if it's gone or worn out, there isn't much to do but replace that too.

I'd trust they will replace what parts to make you happy. In the end, having a safe working firearm is what it's all about. I bet if your nice on the phone, they will give you some parts for free. They are like this and they won't nickle and dime you to death.

Good luck with it.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I got a letter from S&W and it said the gun doesn't need the barrel removed, called and talked to Vito and he confirmed this.
Gun is being repaired at present.
Steve

·
Registered
90 Posts
I can tell you from my experience Vito is absolutely a first class craftsman and does very high quality work... ask me sometime about a tired old M28 he worked on for me.... :cool:

Jeff Whitehouse is also top drawer... if these guys can't solve your problem it isn't solvable (which sadly is sometimes the case.)

Years ago before the British Plumbers who owned S&W sold off all the old parts you could get amazing things done in the service dept. Unfortunately, selling the parts really messed up their ability to do repairs...

I had a 1908 vintage Triple lock worked on in the mid 70s and all the parts were on hand... they made the gun look new too... they even found a set of large medallion magma stocks somewhere... They just can't do that now...but they still do great work at reasonable prices... not cheap, but reasonable...

Anyway, there are only a few I trust to work on my S&W revovlers... and Vito is one of them.

FWIW

Chuck

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Pistol returned this week with just the new cylinder and the hammer and trigger installed, I sent with the gun. They did do very nice work, even if they did have me worried for a while. Shot it today for the first time since it came back, with my standard load of 8 grains of Win. 231 under a LBT Keith 260 grain SWC and now looks like it will group a cylinder full into around 3"-4"@ 25 yards? Needless to say, I'm pleased with the work!
I have no idea where this thread got turned around but, I never said that the S&W factory or workers didn't know or do their jobs?
Steve

1 - 11 of 11 Posts