Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a S&W break top action revolver through some research I think possibly model 1887? Serial 172801. I was looking for confirmation on model and hopefully a year of manufacturing. The only markings I can see are the serial on the butt S&W logo on the right side by the handle and trigger and 38S&W OTG on the left side of the barrel. Any help would be awesome.

Attachments

· Premium Member
23,154 Posts
Welcome to the forums from the Wiregrass! You are a bit off on the shipping date which is around 1905. The only way to know exactly is to get an historian's letter of authenticity for $100 from the S&W Historical Foundation. I don't recommend it because your .38 Safety Hammerless, 4th Model, top break is worth less than $200 in the condition I see. Lift up the barrel latch and read the serial number there. If the barrel is original, the serial will match the one on the butt of the gun and on the breech face of the cylinder.

Reactions: TTSH

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Awesome it may sound strange but I’m not researching for the worth. It was my grandfathers revolver when my dad was born in 1952 and my grandfather was pretty old by then so it is more of a family history / heritage thing I will check on the barrel serial number As well thank you

· Premium Member
23,154 Posts
Duh. I'm really sorry but I totally misidentified your gun. It is a .38 Safety Hammerless from around 1905. The caliber stamp is entirely appropriate for that era SH. It seems that the barrel, cylinder and frame all match which indicates it is original, except for the grips, of course.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Duh. I'm really sorry but I totally misidentified your gun. It is a .38 Safety Hammerless from around 1905. The caliber stamp is entirely appropriate for that era SH. It seems that the barrel, cylinder and frame all match which indicates it is original, except for the grips, of course.
So the model is a 38 safety hammer less? And the serial dates it’s around 1905?

· Premium Member
23,154 Posts
Yorkiema4, Welcome to the forums from the Wiregrass! My wife and I have a YorkiePoo that is the sweetest dog we have ever owned. He never complains about anything...grooming, vet...unless mama leaves the house. Anyway, back from the dog forum.

Can you post some pictures of your safety hammerless so we can see if it is a .32 or .38 caliber and other things that might be of interest?

· Registered
2 Posts
Yorkiema4, Welcome to the forums from the Wiregrass! My wife and I have a YorkiePoo that is the sweetest dog we have ever owned. He never complains about anything...grooming, vet...unless mama leaves the house. Anyway, back from the dog forum.

Can you post some pictures of your safety hammerless so we can see if it is a .32 or .38 caliber and other things that might be of interest?
We have5 yorkies presently who rule the roost LOL It is a 38, same 38S&W CTG on the side of the barrel. It has the grip broken off on both sides of the bottom. He also carved his initials in the bottom of the trigger guard. My grandfather used it as protection at his jewelry store back around the last turn of the century. (My personal gun is a S&W M&P 2.0 9mm.)

Attachments

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm lurking on this thread. I have the same gun with black grips, serial number 141714. Also Grandfathers gun. I'm trying to pin the date down, I'm not concerned with value as they seem to be fairly common. What ammo do they shoot?
Mine shoots the 38 S/W NOT 38 special but I think they were also made to shoot the 32 S/W I think at some point I’m not sure on the date

· Registered
416 Posts
.38 S&W has a .361 inch diameter bullet and a .3855-.3865 inch diameter casing (.440 diameter rim).

.32 S&W has a .312 inch diameter bullet and a .334-.335 inch diameter casing with a .375 inch diameter rim - the entire .32 round would slide completely through the .38 S&W cylinder and out the front (and through the barrel if you closed the cylinder with one inside), and so cannot be fired at all in a .38 S&W pistol.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.