Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Standard Catalog of S&W, 3rd Ed. page 28 & 29 states in part... " Many of the boxes found with handguns today are not original to the gun. Large numbers of them have been colected from online auctions, gun shows or even yard sales and are mated to the gun with the specific intention of increasing the guns value or desirability. The authors take no position on boxes but would caution collectors that purchasing a box for X$ does not necessarily increase the value of your prized gun by an equal amount. In general, only the truly original box increases the value more."

I have found quite an increase in the S&W box trade in the last few years. This was written in 2006 and I wonder if the value question on blue and grey two piece boxes are still as it was at that time?
I know the "picture" boxes and gold boxes are expensive and are collectable themselves.
What I'm asking is do you box high condition revolvers from the last 40 years or so with period correct boxes to increase the value?

Thanks for your thoughts.

GGF

·
Super Moderator
8,963 Posts
I would guess having a period correct box, and stating it is not the original box, would increase the value to a person who wants the gun and a box.

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
There is a distinct difference in a "Period Correct" box and the "Original Shipping" box.

A "Period Correct" box adds to the appeal of an offering and may help it sell more quickly, but the "Original" box adds a good deal of value.

While we're on the subject of boxes, I have of late seen many sophomoric attempts to "make up" an Original Box by the despicable practice of "tagging" or relabeling a S&W Box. This is nothing short of fraud, regardless of the intention of the individual practicing it.

A recent example was a 650 I saw recently in a "tagged" Bangor Punta, 2 piece, Chief's Special box. The sellers price tag indicated "As New, In Box" with an inflated price tag. Feeling even more ornery than usual I called this jackass on it. He just shrugged his shoulders and said. "Hey That's The Way I Got It....." When he refused to unlable the box, I advised him that it was my duty to my fellow collectors to advise everyone I know that he justified practicing a deception and when informed of this he showed no ethics. He got quite heated and I wouldn't back down. He came out from around the counter and attempted to run he out of his store, but before he laid hands on me, he reconsidered. I left not long thereafter.

The point here is this.... "period correct" boxes are nice, but they add no valid claim to the condition of the piece. Only the absolutely unique, original box that the gun shipped in does this....

With regard to "tagging", it's Buyer Beware.... As seller's get more sophisticated in their attempts at forgery I predict you'll see more of this unscrupulous practice. Person's so doing will be shunned by serious collectors as untrustworthy once outed.

Drew

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sebago Son you are correct on the adhesive stickers sold to "tag" a box with the info on the gun. I watched a guy at a Louisville show rub a tag on the floor to give it an "old" appearance. I won't even buy a box with a new tag.
I do buy boxes for some of my better revolvers, like an early Mod 66 with stainless sights...

As some people will (and have) said, they don't care about a box for a gun that's not original.
I do like to get it as close as I can with box, paperwork and tools. I think I may be in the minority in the way I collect.
And that's what it's about. Some guns I buy to put a package together.

GGF

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
A good discussion! kfjdrfirii
It's important to note that, as the age and rarity of the box (and gun) get older and rarer, the 'combo' brings higher dollars.
Again, it's simply a matter of rarity.
For most guns?
If it came with its box, great.
If it came without its box, leave it alone and enjoy it.
This much is true, however...a period correct box that hasn't been altered will make that old gun much easier to sell at a good price, particularly at auction.
;)
Don

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Boxes, shmoxes, I don't care. It's the gun I'm looking at. If it comes with a box...well, that's nice. If it doesn't...well, that's okay, too. I put the gun in a rug in the safe and the box gets put in the closet. It's not that important to me.

Yeah, yeah, I know. I've heard it all. The only gun-in-the-box that interests me is the pre-29 in the the Black Box. I've got them and I think it's really, really cool. I even keep them in their boxes. But, when I get ready to go poke holes in stuff, I leave the box at home. And, the last time I tried to stick a gun-in-the-box in a holster it didn't fit too good.

No, you can't have my boxes. So there.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Boxes are a negative to me. Have a couple stored since I know they will enhance the sale of the gun. It's a pain in the XXX to keep cardboard around that I have no interest in.

The Revolver that catches my eye is one with some honest use marks, been around and seen some things. I like women the same way. Nothig plastic or anything preserved untouched.

Boats

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
Boats said:
Boxes are a negative to me....
The Revolver that catches my eye is one with some honest use marks, been around and seen some things....
So this wouldn't "float your Boat"?

Or these?

How about this?

:cool:

·
Super Moderator
8,963 Posts
Drew those are sweeeeeettttttttt!!!!! kfjdrfirii

Like it was said above, I like when a gun comes with the box, but if it don't it's not a deal breaker for me. I only purchased one box with papers that had no label for 20 bucks just because I wanted it. I am a box keeper for all items I buy whether they are for a gun or what ever.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I ain't never "married" a gun to a period correct box just to have the complete package.But,I do have a few extra boxes I've come across.I picked them up because they are S&W items.I also have several other items such as grips, holsters,knives,ect.
There is a little more to S&W collecting than just guns.

·
Registered
20,193 Posts
I could care less about boxes! If I saved the boxes from everything that I buy, there wouldn't be any room in my closet. :roll: I buy nice guns to use them.......that's my only purpose. I don't really collect them.....I just buy what I want. I got rid of my last cardboard box several years ago, on the other forum.

I couldn't afford to be a serious collecter, anyway, so why bother. I don't look at my guns as an investment, either. I buy 'em to shoot 'em, and to use them for self-defense, or woods carry for protection. That's what they're made for....isn't it? ;) Bob

·
Registered
9,504 Posts
What do I think: To the purest collector, the original box to the gun enhances his purchase, just as having the original grips, finish and condition of the firearm.

To someone like myself who is more of an accumulator and shooter, I'd prefer an original box, but a period box would be acceptable, if I knew it wasn't original.

As to someone who misrepresents the box as original when it is not - It is an integrity issue. If he lies about the box then you'd be well warned to take your business elsewhere, as how could you trust his representation of the gun he is selling.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I am going to jump in here and give a different perspective.
I'm a shooter. I have tired collecting and it just wasn't for me.

If I see a correct box for the gun it tells me the owner cares for his gun and he probally bought it new. If I see a period correct box or just a factory box with the gun it tells me the owner is picky and takes pride in his guns. This is for any handgun I might buy. This all tells me the gun is probally a good one.

Having a factory box for the gun always helps sell them if I decide to do so, even if it isn't correct.
That is a shooters perspective.
John

·
Registered
273 Posts
Sebago nice revolvers a snapshot in time from when they were in a dealers display case. Would not get me to pull my wallet out. Too much responsibility maintaining a museum piece for future generations. I want to know the revolver, shoot it in all conditions, understand how it was made and performs. If it has been used honestly it makes it even more desirable.

Can't do that if I am worried about preserving the packing material. Nothing negative on serious collectors I am just not one.

Boats

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I've had two unfired, in the box guns. The first was a 6" 28-2 with box, Brown paper, original papers,cleaning kit and screwdriver. I took the kit and the driver out, still have them. Tossed the Brown paper and used the box under a rolled up towel for a benchrest until it fell apart. Nice shooting 28. The other, I still have the papers, and boxes(Polystyrene and cardboard outer, it's a Supermatic Citation. I've had it two years and fired maybe two mags through it.

I admit, I have no qualms about shooting an unfired gun. That's what they're for.

·
Registered
669 Posts
If I don't have the original box to go with the gun I like to, if possible, obtain a period correct box, papers, tools to go with the gun. I'm not referring to one that has been re-labeled and marked to sell as original with the gun. I wouldn't buy from anyone who did that and would questions the ethics of someone who did.
Bob

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
You can't shoot the box. I take box and papers and toss it in a big box in the attic. The tool kit(when they came with one) went into my cleaning box. The gun went into the safe. I've bought several that I wanted without the box. Its not a deal breaker to me. I wonder if my box full of boxes would bring enough on something such as fleabay to purchase another shooter? Just kidding!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts