Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I couldn't figure out where to post this so I just closed my eyes and pointed to a forum. Over time I have seen a lot of questions about S&W serial # lookups, and this includes myself on occasion. Is there a good source or two for finding out dates of manufacture for their guns? Other gun makers makes this info readily available, but S&W seems rather stingy for some unknown reason. Thanx in advance for any help.

Sent from my Commodore 64 running Windoze 95

Registered
Most information can be found in current edition of Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson. The current edition is the 4th. The dates are not exact but estimates on manufacturing. Exact info can be found by getting a Letter of Authenticity. They can be obtained for 100.00.

Reactions: 5150

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
[/QUOTE]
Most information can be found in current edition of Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson. The current edition is the 4th. The dates are not exact but estimates on manufacturing. Exact info can be found by getting a Letter of Authenticity. They can be obtained for 100.00.
Thanx for getting back to me. $100 for a letter? I can just imagine what their book must cost. Now I see why Smith doesn't freely provide that information when some people will shell out that kind of dinero just to know how old their gun is. And it's no wonder why so many folks here inquire on this forum.

Registered
I emailed S&W about the inception date for my CS9 and they responded with the information in 6 minutes - I was pretty surprised by that level of service.

Super Moderator

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Buy the book. It's got lots of good interesting facts about S&W products over the years.

Amazon.com: Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson (Standard Catalog of Smith and Wesson) (9781440245633): Supica, Jim, Nahas, Richard: Books

It's about $40.
I took your suggestion and ordered the book today for $39 and free shipping. But with that free shipping comes a two week delivery time. So I was wondering if I can get get a date on a Smith 669 with serial number TBK16xx. This should be my last request. I think I've bothered enuf folks on this forum with these silly lookups. Thanx for your help.

Registered
Thanx for getting back to me. $100 for a letter? I can just imagine what their book must cost. Now I see why Smith doesn't freely provide that information when some people will shell out that kind of dinero just to know how old their gun is. And it's no wonder why so many folks here inquire on this forum.

[/QUOTE]
$100 is for a historians letter from the Smith & Wesson Collectors Association. The money does not go to Smith & Wesson. If you want to know for sure the original configuration of a collectible old S&W, you would need a letter to prove it. Most of us dont need a letter

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

$100 is for a historians letter from the Smith & Wesson Collectors Association. The money does not go to Smith & Wesson. If you want to know for sure the original configuration of a collectible old S&W, you would need a letter to prove it. Most of us dont need a letter
[/QUOTE]
I asked a buddy of mine about the letter and he told me that not too long ago it was about half that price. My oldest S&W is a 28-2 which I bought new in '73 and still have, so I prolly don't need a letter for that. I ordered their 4th edition catalog today so it will come in handy (I hope). Thanx for your reply.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts