Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Typically all commercially produced firearms have horrible trigger pulls... and so most people use 3rd party manufacturers and spend a lot of money correcting the inadequacies of the gun maker...

My question is has anyone replaced their stock Shield trigger with a better lesser pull trigger such as the APEX trigger???? Does this void the warrantee ???

thanks...

·
Registered
6,820 Posts
My observation tends toward no and no. There are certainly enough exceptions and they are typically found on the lower end of the economic scale. In general I have not found quality goods requiring "work" to mitigate undesirable traits in a handgun. I see this more in terms of unrealistic expectations e.g. an SV9ve that does not have the trigger pull of a 1911 or buying toward the lower end of the spectrum.

·
Registered
black powder shooter 😎
4,078 Posts
I learned to shoot the gun with the stock trigger
yep.. I know there is a lot of traffic in trigger upgrades for them plastics - doesn't seem to help many folks at the range. ryperp

my m&p trigger and I didn't get along at first, and I asked my lgs about a new trigger. but after about 500 rounds of get acquainted, seems like it actually works pretty good.. id personally give it some work to see if it doesn't get used to you

however - it is YOUR gun, and if it helps you get rounds in the bull - go for it.

·
Registered
4,300 Posts
I do a lot of reading, researching on forums before I bought my last firearm.
I have always found that people will usually post the negative about items to help eliminate buyers remorse.
That being said that is why I didn't buy a Smith because of quality control issues and gritty triggers, I can't see putting money into a firearm to make it a little better when there are so many quality firearms on the market that are fine right out of the box.
This is just my opinion, your firearm you can do as you wish, but I think you should use it before you make any changes.

·
Premium Member
12,304 Posts
I'm with Jonesy and Blazer. I didn't like the trigger at first but after 480 rounds I don't even think about it any more.

still have work to do but I like it more and more

Reactions: Wiregrassguy

·
Premium Member
20,742 Posts
welcome01 to the forums from the Wiregrass! I don't own a Shield but once owned a Sigma SW9VE. They were known for long trigger pulls that could sometimes be gritty. The one I owned was purchased from a firearms instructor who used it in training. It probably had more than 5000 rounds through it and, although a long pull, the trigger was very smooth and consistent. From what I have read, S&W will not honor the warranty if the gun has been modified by anyone but their service department. YMMV.

·
Registered
822 Posts
To me the trigger is almost everything on a gun. I almost bought a Beretta PX4 Storm. It looked great, built great, took it out for a spin and couldn't believe how bad the trigger was. A deal-breaker. Wound up with a Ruger SR9, which has a much better, lighter, less traveling trigger.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Apex makes a great trigger. It should help a lot with "smoothing" out the trigger feel. I left my Shield with stock parts, but spend some time working the trigger over and it came out great. Probably as good as an Apex, but not near as sexy in appearance. The one spot on mine that really still needs work is the striker block. During trigger pull I can clearly feel the bind of the block. I need to buck it up and remove the rear sight and clean that up. For that portion an Apex block might be a good investment for me. I just dread trying to get that rear sight off.
M27

1 - 12 of 12 Posts