Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I asked a 'rookie' question about my father's (now known) Model 10-2, I'd thought I'd share....and please, I am by no means a pistolero, just part of the job, so forgive any wrong info....

When I graduated from the Border Patrol Academy in '87, we were issued nickle 686s that were obviously used/recycled by the GOV. I was so proud...It was a breast and a true shooter that could take tons of abuse. When we transitioned to the Beretta 96D (1997?), we had to turn in our smoke wagons, as the GOV would not let us buy them due to the "Brady Act". That made many guys and gals very mad, especially having carried it for 10 years.

In 1999, HQ commissioned a 75th Anniversary Commemorative 686. IIRC, the pistol was $400, and the wood box $50. Mine has never been shot, rather it brings great memories of days gone by....Thought I'd share some Pics. Cheers, Kit

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
As rookies, we were not allowed to carry speed loaders until we passed our 1 year probation. We were issued loops and even had a course of fire (timed) loading from the loops, 2 at a time. LOL. I actually had a rubber band to keep the ammo secure. Eventually, I bought silver tips, keeping them shined with brasso.... and thought I was the cats meow....

I always wore them, with speed loaders, cause we were a bunch of cowboys. I sure do miss it,

Super Moderator
Welcome to the forum!

Great looking L frame Smith!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts