Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. Just picked up my first gun a S&W 686 4inch barrel. It cost me a whopping 275 euro. Now I started to look this gun up and it seems a special edition; a so called "Security Special"(Engraved on the right side panel of the frame.). Inside the crane its marked "CS-3". It's a matte finnish. A quick look on the web tells me that the "CS-1" was issued back in 1988 to the customs service. But really nothing to find on the "CS-3" model. Strange?! Well maybe you guys can help me out here. Can someone enlighten me a lil about the history and about the payed price of this particular gun. This is the picture I took of my gun.

·
Registered
10,921 Posts
I just went through the book "Standard Catalog of Smith and Wesson" and found nothing about a CS-3. There were some4" lasered and RB versions 'for export' but noting conserning a CS-1

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Actually there were 6", 4", 3" 686 CS-3 that were made for the large German importer Whischo(SP). All were beadblasted and lazer etched "Security Special". The majority were sold through the US Military Rod&Gun stores. I had purchased one several years ago in 3", but had to sell a couple of years ago.

·
Registered
215 Posts
The CS-3 is functionally, and cosmetically identical to the CS-1. To include the thinner black blade front sight. It was made in 3" and 4" barrel lengths.

IIRC the CS-3 was simply overuns from the CS-1 run. The CS-3's were mainly exported to Europe. Some 3" barrel CS-3's were laser engraved "Security Special" on the sideplate. A bunch of those were reimported into the states in the early 2000's.

I'm ignorant as to what the euro exchange rate to the dollar is, but I can tell you that the 3" barrel CS-1/CS-3 bring more than the 4" versions.

The 3" CS-1/CS-3 in the states brings from $850 to over $1000 depending on condition and whether original box & docs are included.

The 4" CS-1/CS-3 in the states brings around $650 to $700 with condition and box and docs a plus or minus as well.

In any case you have a superb variant of the 686, which is stronger and more accurate than ANY standard 686, and superior to all the current production 686's - which here in the states carry ridiculous asking prices for what they are. Hope this helps! Regards 18DAI.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Spirou, First... welcome to the forum, the Netherlands.. wow S&W's do get around the world. Been to Schinnen many, many times while stationed in Germany. You got a pretty good deal at that price (275 Euros = 392.534 USD). What's the ammo (38 Special/357 Magnum) availability like over there? I'm wondering if 18DAI would be so kind as to qualify this statement... "which is stronger and more accurate than ANY standard 686". Best Regards....

·
Registered
215 Posts
Sure, I'd be happy to qualify my statement.

When the US Customs service ordered the CS-1 they specified an accuracy requirement and a durability goal. I don't have my reference papers with me, but I recall that the accuracy requirement was under 2" at 25 yards, and the durability was in excess of 25,000 rounds, IIRC.

Periodically during delivery, Customs armorers would take a CS-1 and fire it for thousands of rounds, and check it for accuracy.

I obtained this info from an individual who researched the CS-1's for an article, and from a copy of the US Customs Service RFP.

My 3" CS-1 was a very accurate revolver. As accurate as my PC 586-5 L-comp. Regards 18DAI.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
snafu said:
Spirou, First... welcome to the forum, the Netherlands.. wow S&W's do get around the world. Been to Schinnen many, many times while stationed in Germany. You got a pretty good deal at that price (275 Euros = 392.534 USD). What's the ammo (38 Special/357 Magnum) availability like over there? I'm wondering if 18DAI would be so kind as to qualify this statement... "which is stronger and more accurate than ANY standard 686". Best Regards....
Yeah S&W does gets around hehe (and gets into your blood :mrgreen: ) Well regarding the ammo; not alot available. I shoot Magtech .357 Magnum SJSP or Sellier & Bellot .357 Magnum SP. For .38 I use: Magtech .38 Special FMC-Flat or Magtech .38 Special LWC. I can't really get hollow points around here. That is mainly due to the fact that the gunlaw is so tight. A civilian can't carry a gun or use it in a home defence situation. It's purely for sport purpose. So no real need for hollow points around here. ( Pity though :| )

·
Super Moderator
32,527 Posts
That is a very nice "first gun". kfjdrfirii

Now you just need to get a few more. As many here will admit it is an addiction.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Due to the gunlaw here in the Netherlands you can own only 5 guns per person. Also, because it's my first gun, on my permit, I have to wait for a year to get another. After that i can buy one when ever I want, up to 5 max. It's got suckiness written all over, I know :(

·
Registered
442 Posts
snafu said:
almost every Belgian shooter and gunowner has a least one S&W!! they are verry popular over here,
and i think, my neighbougs from the netherlands love them also that way.

Jeff

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
jeffie said:
snafu said:
almost every Belgian shooter and gunowner has a least one S&W!! they are verry popular over here,
and i think, my neighbougs from the netherlands love them also that way.

Jeff
You bet mate! It's my first gun (privat) and I love it. It has has a certain "oompf" compared to and 9mm. :lol:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts