Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got this 66-2 in from Gunbroker & noticed it was very hard to get the cylinder open. Got it home from the FFL and took it apart to clean it. Even after cleaning it was still very hard to get the cylinder open. I noticed an extractor pin was missing while I had it all apart. It doesn’t look sheared off. Are these pressed in pins and it’s just missing? Could this be the cause of the sticky cylinder? Or should I be trying to get my money back? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
I really don't think it is that big a deal. I would try S&W customer service first and ask them about the pin. They might send you one. If not I’m sure you can find one with no problem. The sticky cylinder is probably due to the star not lining up because of the missing pin. Very nice piece. It might take a while but it will be worth the time spent to fix it.

·
Premium Member
20,721 Posts
The star/ratchet is keyed to the cylinder with a small ridge that runs down the inside of the cylinder center pin hole. The slot machined into the side of the star collar mates with the ridge to align the star.The alignment pins are additional assistance to seat the star. At varying times over the years, S&W used 1, 2 or no alignment pins. If the star is seating flush in its well, that is not causing the cylinder to be hard to open. If it is not flush with the well, check behind the star to see if it has soot buildup and clean it if it does. If that is not the problem, Check the yoke screw which is the lower forward sideplate screw. Loosen it a bit and see if the cylinder opens and closes more smoothly. The yoke screw is particular to the lower forward hole and sometimes during cleaning, a different screw gets into that hole and binds the yoke. If that is not the problem, make sure the extractor rod is fully seated. I use a wooden clothespin on the knurled end which I clamp with pliers to tighten/loosen the rod. If you do tighten it this way, don't torque the rod too much. Just a little past hand tight should be sufficient.

Hope that helps!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The star/ratchet is keyed to the cylinder with a small ridge that runs down the inside of the cylinder center pin hole. The slot machined into the side of the star collar mates with the ridge to align the star.The alignment pins are additional assistance to seat the star. At varying times over the years, S&W used 1, 2 or no alignment pins. If the star is seating flush in its well, that is not causing the cylinder to be hard to open. If it is not flush with the well, check behind the star to see if it has soot buildup and clean it if it does. If that is not the problem, Check the yoke screw which is the lower forward sideplate screw. Loosen it a bit and see if the cylinder opens and closes more smoothly. The yoke screw is particular to the lower forward hole and sometimes during cleaning, a different screw gets into that hole and binds the yoke. If that is not the problem, make sure the extractor rod is fully seated. I use a wooden clothespin on the knurled end which I clamp with pliers to tighten/loosen the rod. If you do tighten it this way, don't torque the rod too much. Just a little past hand tight should be sufficient.

Hope that helps!
I’ve tried everything mention and it’s still awfully sticky when opening. I’m debating on finding a local gunsmith to take a look at it. I was really hoping to figure it out at home, thank you everyone for all of the ideas!!

·
Premium Member
20,721 Posts
Try one more thing. Pull back on the cylinder, then open it to see if that alleviates the sticking. The front of the cylinder could be dragging on the forcing cone.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Try one more thing. Pull back on the cylinder, then open it to see if that alleviates the sticking. The front of the cylinder could be dragging on the forcing cone.
Didn’t work either The extractor sits flush and I tightened down the rod buts it feels like it doesn’t push on the release in the under lug enough to pop open the cylinder freely

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
For anyone having this issue (this may not be the only answer, It just so happened to be the answer for this gun) - I ended up taking it to a Gunsmith and “cylinder end shake” was the cause of the sticky cylinder. From what I’ve found online, you can add .002” shims to get the clearances back in the right range. Wish I would’ve found this info earlier, I would have fixed it myself. Hope this helps someone in the future.

·
Premium Member
279 Posts

Hope that helps!
That was quite the reply! It sounds like you used to make those things.
Did you? Asking for a friend...

Sent from my Commodore 64 running Windoze 95

·
Premium Member
279 Posts
Thanks for the kind words. But, you're just trying to flatter me...right?
Nah, but that was a detailed explanation. I actually learned something.

·
Premium Member
20,721 Posts
You guys! My head is swelled up so big I'm having trouble squeezing through the outhouse door...and it's a two holer. I ain't really smart but I probably should have been a librarian.

·
Premium Member
279 Posts
You guys! My head is swelled up so big I'm having trouble squeezing through the outhouse door...and it's a two holer. I ain't really smart but I probably should have been a librarian.
Phunny you should mention outhouses and librarian in the same post.
Did you know libraries make shhh happen?

·
Premium Member
20,721 Posts
Yeah...well, I think we have dragged this thread far from its original topic. Let's give it a rest.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had a similar problem a few years ago and it turned out that I had over tightened the screw the gets removed to take the cylinder and joke off. Easy enough to try. Hope it works.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts