Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Folks, I have a 3 inch S&W 657 No Dash that I bought new in 1987 for $243.24. I shot a few rounds, maybe 24 through it and put it away. I am thinking about selling it but have no idea of the value. I did not keep the paperwork or box !! Shame on me. If anyone has any information for me I would appreciate hearing from you.
Gun Brown Firearm Ammunition Tan

·
Registered
11,758 Posts
I cannot give you a value because I've always shied away from the .41 Mag shooters as the ammo is costly unless you're a reloader which I'm not. My guess is that others will be along shortly and give you what will be a much higher value than what you paid when you bought it. I particularly like the 'Combat Stocks' which will no doubt boost the value. Good luck on your sale, but if it were me, I'd never sell that beauty!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I cannot give you a value because I've always shied away from the .41 Mag shooters as the ammo is costly unless you're a reloader which I'm not. My guess is that others will be along shortly and give you what will be a much higher value than what you paid when you bought it. I particularly like the 'Combat Stocks' which will no doubt boost the value. Good luck on your sale, but if it were me, I'd never sell that beauty!
Thank you for your advice, it is a beauty !

·
Registered
30,012 Posts
Nice revolver. From what I have seen on Gun Broker and other related sites, the sellers are asking $1200+, and that's for a 6" version and newer models. Yours with the combat grips, a no dash and shorter barrel could add another $500+. Quite a return on your investment I would say. Good luck with the sale.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nice revolver. From what I have seen on Gun Broker and other related sites, the sellers are asking $1200+, and that's for a 6" version and newer models. Yours with the combat grips, a no dash and shorter barrel could add another $500+. Quite a return on your investment I would say. Good luck with the sale.
Thank you, If I could get that kind of money that would be a good return on investment. I have the invoice from the wholesaler with the date. price and serial number on it. Do you think that would add any value?

·
Premium Member
20,718 Posts
Yes. That is called "provenance" and adds value to a package just like a box, paper and tools.

·
Registered
11,758 Posts
Thank you, If I could get that kind of money that would be a good return on investment. I have the invoice from the wholesaler with the date. price and serial number on it. Do you think that would add any value?
Yes, anything that can add to the provenance of the original sale of the revolver helps, but in any case you have a strong item to sell on today's market even without it if you choose to do so. I'm curious and if I'm prying too much, please say so, I won't be offended, but do you have any other Smith & Wesson or different brands that you do shoot regularly?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, anything that can add to the provenance of the original sale of the revolver helps, but in any case you have a strong item to sell on today's market even without it if you choose to do so. I'm curious and if I'm prying too much, please say so, I won't be offended, but do you have any other Smith & Wesson or different brands that you do shoot regularly?
Thank you for the information.
I have never shot handguns much. Most of my stuff has very limited use. I have a 686 No Dash, 29-5 Classic, Redhawk, SP100, HS Sportking and others that I can't remember the Number/Model. I used to hunt and shot my rifles more that my handguns.

·
Registered
11,758 Posts
Thank you for the information.
I have never shot handguns much. Most of my stuff has very limited use. I have a 686 No Dash, 29-5 Classic, Redhawk, SP100, HS Sportking and others that I can't remember the Number/Model. I used to hunt and shot my rifles more that my handguns.
Well you have some good stuff! :) If you decide to sell them I'm sure you will be able to enjoy top pricing for all of them in the right marketplace, good luck sir!

·
Registered
15,302 Posts
That's what they are asking, but is anyone getting that much?? I see a 2.5" model 19 they are asking $1999 for, but no one is bidding and realistically they sell for $800 to $1000. The combat grips on that 657 are fairly valuable themselves.

·
Super Moderator
19,900 Posts
The shop I work at just sold one for $1100. It was pistol only, no box, or papers.

Reactions: TTSH

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Hello Folks, I have a 3 inch S&W 657 No Dash that I bought new in 1987 for $243.24. I shot a few rounds, maybe 24 through it and put it away. I am thinking about selling it but have no idea of the value. I did not keep the paperwork or box !! Shame on me. If anyone has any information for me I would appreciate hearing from you.
That's going to turn out to have been one great investment. :) (y) Too bad about no box or paperwork as that would have been like winning the lottery grand prize! :love: You could retire on that! (y)

I think that will have to go on GB for the absolute maximum sky-high bidding war return. I know it's far above my financial capability, but that applies to a whole lot of vintage S&W handguns! :cry: Especially lately. :(

I'm not keen on the combats in lieu of the original factory grips for scarce collectibles, but that's just me... and a whole 'nother subject for another time. It sure won't hurt with this fine gun. :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts