Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Smith & Wesson model 63-3 that I am needing an extractor for. I have been searching and searching with no luck. Found 2 on Numrich but neither look like the one I need. The old style has pins and mine does not the new style does not have pins but the notches on the back of the star do not look the same. Would the new style work even though it is not the same style of star? Can anyone point me in the right direction for an exact part match? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
7 Posts
S & W 63-3 parts

I have a Smith & Wesson model 63-3 that I am needing an extractor for. I have been searching and searching with no luck. Found 2 on Numrich but neither look like the one I need. The old style has pins and mine does not the new style does not have pins but the notches on the back of the star do not look the same. Would the new style work even though it is not the same style of star? Can anyone point me in the right direction for an exact part match? Thanks in advance

eBay. Just keep watching. About the last 5 years the old Timers have been passing. So people have been flipping a lot of parts from their estates on ebay. Also police departments have been trading parts from destroyed frames to dealers for ammo credit. So find your model. Watch/follow a bunch of parts and your feed will keep sending emails with similar parts. Eventually you will stumble across what you are looking for. There is a lot of new old stock parts out there

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply and suggestion. I have already added the 63, 63-3, and model 34 to my saved searches. This is what I was kind of expecting I would have to do but was hoping maybe someone knew of a source outside of Ebay, Midway, and Numrich that I may have some luck with. I have signed up for alerts from Numrich and Ebay and will continue the wait. Thanks again and if you may be familiar with any other models that might be compatible I would appreciate the tip.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have figured out why I am having such a hard time finding the part. Mine is Serial BSZxxxx with the uncle mikes grip from the factory. According to my copy of Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson it was produced between 94-95 and was the first year they changed the extractor from the old style with pins. Unfortunately it is also not the same as the new style when they brought back the Model 63 with a 3" barrel. So it appears I am looking for a part that was only used for about 3 years. Any chance I could use the new style extractor? It doesn't seem like they would have changed the dimensions of the part where it slides into the cylinder, just the star/ratchet. Any advice is appreciated. I may just take the chance and buy the new style extractor. I think finding a part with such a short time of production is going to be like finding a needle in a haystack. In my understanding it's not like the extractor plays a part in the lock up of the cylinder, just the timing of the rotation. Are there any issues that I may should be concerned with moving forward with the new style extractor?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you very much. It seems to be a great source for hard to find parts. I am going to give them a call tomorrow. Unfortunately, I am looking for an extractor that was only used for a few years between 94-97, so I am not too hopeful.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I have a Smith & Wesson model 63-3 that I am needing an extractor for. I have been searching and searching with no luck. Found 2 on Numrich but neither look like the one I need. The old style has pins and mine does not the new style does not have pins but the notches on the back of the star do not look the same. Would the new style work even though it is not the same style of star? Can anyone point me in the right direction for an exact part match? Thanks in advance.
What part of the extractor do you need? If it's the rod, Midway has that.

If not I'd call Numrich and talk to someone about what you need.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1004530333?pid=914208

·
Registered
23,436 Posts
My newer 63-5 has an 8 shot cylinder, the older 63's were 6 shot. I doubt many parts would interchange.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What part of the extractor do you need? If it's the rod, Midway has that.

If not I'd call Numrich and talk to someone about what you need.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1004530333?pid=914208
I need the extractor rod, center pin, and the extractor itself. I have found the extractor rod and center pin for less than $20 total on midway but the extractor itself is what is giving me trouble. Part #9 on Numrich schematic https://www.gunpartscorp.com/gun-manufacturer/smith-wesson/revolvers-sw/63-3?page=4 . However the two that they have listed are not correct or at least not identical to the extractor I have.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My newer 63-5 has an 8 shot cylinder, the older 63's were 6 shot. I doubt many parts would interchange.
That's a good point. One of the ones they have listed on Numrich says new style and is a 6 round extractor. Maybe they changed the ones between 94-97 more than once. I just know that the star notches are not the same on mine as the one that is shown. I am waiting on a reply from S&W and am going to call Numrich tomorrow. I am probably just going to send it back in to the mother ship and have them service it. Thanks for the reply

1 - 12 of 12 Posts