Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently picked up a new S&W 627PC and it is a very nice revolver! I finally got my hands on some moon clips and the Moon Clip Tool from The Revolver Supply Company. Supplies for the revolver enthusiast. Thought I would share my experience and ask a few questions on this very excellent forum.

Firstly, I discovered that they aren't fooling when they tell you to use the certain recommended brands of .38spl or .357. I initially tried loading several clips with some very high quality reloads that my local range sells. No dice. All I succeeded in doing was bending some clips. Loading the rounds into the clips with the Moon Clip Tool was a bear, and the rounds did not fit properly into the cylinder of the revolver when configured in the Moon Clips. Ohhh Kaaayyy.

I then went out and got a box of Federal .38spl. and a box of Remington .38spl., these being two of the brands that the Moon Clip people recommended. The difference was night and day. The rounds were very easy to attach to the moon clips using the Moon Clip Tool, and voila! the configured moon clips seat beautifully in the 627. Moral of the story -- the vendor is not fooling when he recommends that you use the aforesaid brands of ammunition. I, at least, visually could not see why these brands worked and the reloads did not, but there you are. Using Moon Clips it is possible to reload a revolver as quickly as one might reload a semi-auto pistol. Plus you still have a revolver! :D

I do have one question. For those of you who, like me, use Moon Clips, what is your preferred method for removing the spent shells? These moon clips are not cheap, so it is important to do this without bending/ruining the clip. The Moon Clip Tool can be used for this, or there are other special reloading tools available. I would appreciate knowing what others are doing with respect to UNloading the clips. I have the loading process mastered, but unloading them is still a bit chancy.

·
Registered
11,703 Posts
I recently picked up a new S&W 627PC and it is a very nice revolver! I finally got my hands on some moon clips and the Moon Clip Tool from The Revolver Supply Company. Supplies for the revolver enthusiast. Thought I would share my experience and ask a few questions on this very excellent forum.

Firstly, I discovered that they aren't fooling when they tell you to use the certain recommended brands of .38spl or .357. I initially tried loading several clips with some very high quality reloads that my local range sells. No dice. All I succeeded in doing was bending some clips. Loading the rounds into the clips with the Moon Clip Tool was a bear, and the rounds did not fit properly into the cylinder of the revolver when configured in the Moon Clips. Ohhh Kaaayyy.

I then went out and got a box of Federal .38spl. and a box of Remington .38spl., these being two of the brands that the Moon Clip people recommended. The difference was night and day. The rounds were very easy to attach to the moon clips using the Moon Clip Tool, and voila! the configured moon clips seat beautifully in the 627. Moral of the story -- the vendor is not fooling when he recommends that you use the aforesaid brands of ammunition. I, at least, visually could not see why these brands worked and the reloads did not, but there you are. Using Moon Clips it is possible to reload a revolver as quickly as one might reload a semi-auto pistol. Plus you still have a revolver! :D

I do have one question. For those of you who, like me, use Moon Clips, what is your preferred method for removing the spent shells? These moon clips are not cheap, so it is important to do this without bending/ruining the clip. The Moon Clip Tool can be used for this, or there are other special reloading tools available. I would appreciate knowing what others are doing with respect to UNloading the clips. I have the loading process mastered, but unloading them is still a bit chancy.
Hey Redleg,

I use the de mooner tool. Dillon Precision: Reloaders, Reloading Equipment, Bullet Reloading, Bullet Reloaders

Am a 45 guy, here is some vid Mark, filling up twice.MTS - YouTube

Later, Mark

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Mark. Good info. Anyone else use other tools to de-moon the clips?

·
Registered
8,899 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
I cut a 4" piece of copper pipe and put a slot at the end. I have used this for well over a year on my 625 & 627 without a issue. This makes a very effective d-mooning tool, where the countertop at the range loads them just fine.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Redleg, that's a nice piece! Had I not decided on my Model 500, that same 627PC you bought would have been purchased instead. And I too would have gone the moon clip route.

As for your issues with the reloads, what was on the headstamp?

·
Registered
22,116 Posts
Never used a Moon Clip, but the APEX tool looks like a winner. I gather from BigDog that it's just a matter of forcing the cartridges into the Moon Clip. Do the empties com out the same way? Bob

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Redleg, that's a nice piece! Had I not decided on my Model 500, that same 627PC you bought would have been purchased instead. And I too would have gone the moon clip route.

As for your issues with the reloads, what was on the headstamp?
The reloads, which apart from not fitting into the moonclips well, are marked "Top Brass .38 SPL"

Federal and Remington work great.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That's a WICKED-lookin' revolver, man! Betcha she's fast as all get out!

Jerry Miculek better look out.....:D

DocZeus
AKA
David
If only I were as good a shooter as the revolver!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
That IS a wicked revolver. I've had mine about 6 months now and it is the one I take with me unless I have some reason not to. I still need a good holster for general field carry and now I can see I need some nice wood grips like those in the picture.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
For comfort (and not bad looks either!) I picked up the Hogue Rosewood full-sized conversion grip. This is essentially the same grip that I have on my GP100 and Dan Wesson 15-2, and it really helps me control the revolver. Not everyone likes finger groves but I do.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.