Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I bought my 586 it came the really nice walnut target stocks. I love the way they look but they never really felt good in my hand. I decided to put on set of Hogue vinyl grips. Well those are about impossible to get on. I tore them up putting them on and could never get them to seat all the way. They ended up being stuck I actually had to carefully cut them off. I contacted Hogue told them of the situation they were very helpful and recommended the rubber grips. They sent me a new set of rubber grips. Really a first class operation. Those went on without a hitch. I really like the way they feel. I felt like I was shooting a different gun. Now, I really like the way it feels but not so much how it looks. It looks like my Glocks now. This isn't a carry piece but I do like being able to shoot all my guns well. I would invest in some Hogue wood grips if I new they would feel like the rubber grips. I'm not concerned so much with the difference between wood and rubber I just want them to be the same dimensionally. Does anyone have experience with the wood and rubber grips from Hogue?

·
Registered
15 Posts
When I got my 686 I was determined to have wood grips and a leather holster. I kinda think if you are a revolver guy, you like wood and leather.... but I do carry this gun and I love it. Shoot it so well and am very comfortable as a self defense weapon. I ended up getting a Kydex holster because it’s more comfortable and I ended up with the hogue bantam grips. Are those the ones that you couldn’t get on? For me it wasn’t too easy but not that difficult. They made a huge difference in the way they shoot, 357s are very doable where the wood were kinda painful. And actually I like the way they look, not as pretty as wood but good! I’ll see if I have a picture

·
Registered
19,900 Posts
I have a 586 that came with the rubber Hogues; I'll swap you for the original wood ones. I have had Hogues on several guns and they do cushion the recoil

·
Registered
14,521 Posts
I really like these grips. Here they are on a 617, but I had these on my 686 for a while. I have a similar set on the way right now that will go on the 686
56E2F3D9-A3EA-4719-A108-26CB25AE74A6.jpeg

These dark ones were the first Thai grips I got. Currently on my model 15 buthad them on my 686 at first. Recoil feels about the same as with rubber grips.
0884CE47-C7F3-40E5-B500-DE311B332C90.jpeg

When it comes to grips and recoil a wider grip to put more surface area in contact with your hand is the key. Another thing is to avoid grips with squared off edges as those corners will concentrate the force against your hand.
I shoot all of these with the pictured grips
8E8EB98A-06DF-4F47-B14C-DC3377B844F8.jpeg

·
Registered
19,900 Posts
Have a link to those grips?
TIA!

·
Registered
14,521 Posts
Here is a K frame, square butt set

New Hardwood Grip For S&W, K/L Frame Square Butt Smooth wood Closed Back Strap | eBay

Here is a round butt set:

Grips Smith & Wesson Rosewoods Revolvers For Frame K/L 686-64-65-66 Round Butt | eBay

another RB:

Grips Smith & Wesson Rosewoods Revolvers For Round Butt Frame K/L 686-64-65-66 | eBay

Square butt:

New wood grips for S&W K/L Frame Square Butt Grips Smooth Hardwood Thai Handmade | eBay

Some have an open back. All I own and have linked to have a closed back.

Searching Ebay using "Grips for S&W K frame" gives a slightly different results than using
"S&W K frame grips"

·
Registered
20,909 Posts
I have a set of Hogue Rubber grips that feel great for shooting. I also have a nice set of wood Hogue grips. They look fantastic, however, they don't feel right for shooting. The finger grooves are too low below the center line of the barrel. They feel awkward, but not enough to affect my shooting. They appear to be too long, when on the gun. I should have gotten no finger grooves on the grips. Bob

1 - 10 of 10 Posts