Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is your experience with this gun? I sometimes regret not buying the longer 8 3/8” barrel version. I would like to change the rubber grips out for some nice wood Hogue or other brand grips. Recoil is what you would expect... ridiculous. Sitting next to a Rohm RG 23 .22 LR for perspective.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,563 Posts
I have a 6.5" and unless you're shooting the 700gr Underwoods, it can be easily shot by a 12 year old girl. ;)

E.g.- shooting 350 gr Swifts: (click for video)

https://i.imgur.com/E1tvb8V.mp4

If the recoil is bothersome, I wouldn't recommend switching to wood stocks. :shock:

Reactions: sparkyv and Curt360

·
Super Moderator
19,709 Posts
I bought one with a 4" barrel for $800, because the previous owner hated the recoil and muzzle blast and at that time I needed an X-frame revolver to complete a collection I wanted to build.. I shot it 10 times, and then sold it for $1200 because somebody else wanted it more than I did.
To me it's an overpowered fun gun. Unless you're around deadly game there really isn't much practical use for one. But they are amazing and really fun to shoot, and I hold high those that have them and love shooting them as well.
In the X-frame revolvers I think the 460 series are much more manageable, and great for hunting big game with a handgun.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh no I personally enjoy the recoil. I just say it’s ridiculous because it’s more than any other handgun I’ve shot. What ammo do you shoot and for what reasons? I tend to only see the same types of ammo in store shelves. Hornady and Federal.

·
Registered
6,563 Posts
Underwood, Swift or Hornady.

BOOM (Underwood)

Boom (Swift)

boom (Hornady)

·
Registered
9,937 Posts
I have the 8 3/8" 2 nd one :) was thinking about putting some wood shoes on it :) I hear K frames will fit? not sure though. Oh and welcome mate.

thewelshm

·
Registered
3,832 Posts
I watched my neighbor shoot his four incher and that was enough for me. Spectacular! Back in the day , I'd loved it but the hands can't take big recoil anymore.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts