Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello.

i decided to slap a scope on my S&W 500 (bushnell trophy 2x6x32MM)

i remember reading somewere that when shooting the 500, that the gun would hit in a different POI when fired from a bench vs firing freehand (i.e. holding dead on from a bench, you would get a different POI vs holding dead on free hand). i havent had the opportunity to test this as of yet, but i was hoping that someone here could either confirm it or debunk it. i plan on using the gun for bear and deer hunting this year, and id hate to spend time shooting from the benc lining the scope up to find out that it shoots way off freehand.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
oh, and i forgot to mention my gun is the 8 3/8" HIVIZ with the interchangable compensators

i had one of the 10"ers with the lother walther rifle barrel, and i couldnt see much of a difference in accuracy open sighted between it and my 8 3/8".could be though something to do with my fine polishing the barrel internally on all my guns when i get them ( i was a gunsmith for quite a few years). i polished my 8 3/8" but not my CS 10", so maybe that has something to do with it.

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
John,

'Fraid I can't help you with your .500 question, as the biggest critters up here are handlily dealt with using a .44 Magnum. I usually pack a 4" 29 or 629 for this purpose.

However, I can say that if you are restricting recoil off the bench I could see where it might shoot lower. I have seen this with my .300 & .375 H&H and .458 WCF Rifles.

Drew

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the reply.

personally, ive never seen such a thing myself (different POI between free hand and bench) and i shoot alot of big bore handguns . to be quite honest, i cant even remeber where i read it. but i thought just to be on the safe side, id check in with you guys and see what you all though or if youd heard of such a thing.

from the bench, i dont restrict recoil. i lightly rest my barrels about midway, and let'r fly.

·
Registered
753 Posts
It's more like where you grip the stock. Is your grip pressure the same for every shot? Is your wrist and forearm strength consistent every shot? And so on.
Shooting off the bench or shooting free hand will hit the same point, if all the above is consistent too.
When I shoot mine, after awhile my hits are stringing upwards, which tells me I'm getting tired as my grip or forearm strength is changing.

Works the same for 44s too. fnovnpoa

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thats what ive always found myself, but i just didnt get what i had read so of course i had to check it out

just got done scrubbing the 500 out. ive been reloading for over 35 years, and of course do the same for the 500. when i hit the range, i generally put 150-200 rounds thru it and by the tim e i get home, it looks like its been sitting in a campfire. i can reload a case of 500 with sierra 350gr or hornady 350 XTP for what it would cost to buy 2-3 boxes of premium ammo, so i can enjoy shooting it as much as i want.38.5gr lilgun under a sierra 350gr HP will shoot 100 yard cloverleafs if i do my part.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts