Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do people use for a holster for the larger single stack 45 cal S&Ws? I see some LEO holsters, but does anyone carry with these? IWB or out?

·
Super Moderator
19,409 Posts
I don't have but the one 45 pistol, but nearly all of my pistols are carried in pancake holsters. Duty holsters are fine for a Police Officer as intended, or great fro a range holster. But thy're not so good for every day civilian carry.
Also, all of my holsters are made of double weight leather. Solid support for every pistol is critical for your comfort and gun stability.
Nylon holsters are inexpensive for a reason. They have little real support and will usually collapse when empty, making it difficult to re-holster them. You get exactly what you pay for in a holster. Buy a good quality mid priced holster $75-$125 and you'll probably never regret the investment and you'll be buying fewer holsters in the process of finding the one that's "Just right"
If you can, take your pistol with you when you go to try out a holster. It'll surely save you much wasted time, money and frustration.

By the way, I probably have 30 different holsters here that I use, depending on my carry needs.
And I've probably given away at least that many holsters as well, because they didn't fit my needs and it's better if somebody else can put them to good use.

Gregory

·
Banned
600 Posts
If you conceal carry the large Smith and Wesson 45 like the 4506 is difficult unless you are in a colder climate which case a shoulder rig works otherwise one of those down the pants is a tad uncomfortable. I open carry so I like the duty style holsters myself but to each his own. Like gear checker said, spend the money and you wont be sorry.

·
Registered
81 Posts
If you conceal carry the large Smith and Wesson 45 like the 4506 is difficult unless you are in a colder climate which case a shoulder rig works otherwise one of those down the pants is a tad uncomfortable...
I carry my S&W 4506 in an Uncle Mike's Super Belt-Slide holster that I converted to an IWB holster by removing the straps & "strap-trap" stuff, and adding a pair of heavy-duty nylon belt loops (via Chicago screws) to the "wings" of the holster...With this holster, I can comfortably carry my 4506, IWB, with just a t-shirt over it for cover.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts