Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You don't hear much about the 457's Paragraph in the Standard Catalog that's all. Search on this board picks up nothing. I read once they were issue to Chicago police. Few are showing up in local shops they look like police trade in's

Any more info ?

Boats

·
Registered
215 Posts
A very nice compact 45, the 457. I had an early blue model. I had $350 in it IIRC.

Back when it was called the "value line", the 457 could be had for around $350. It was truly a value at that price point. When they started asking $550 or more, it was overpriced for what it is, IMO. The last MSRP I recall was $711. S&W is optimistic.....if nothing else.

The 457 is kind of Glock like in the slide, very "blocky". Mine would go in some of my 4516 leather, but not my more expensive form fitted 4516 holsters. The sights are....plastic....and cheap. One bang on the Crown Vics door, and my rear sight was trashed. S&W promptly shipped me another one, free of charge.

The safety/decocker is on the left side. I'm not sure if the S&W ambi safety would fit the 457's slightly wide slide, but I never inquired. I'm a lefty, so I only used the safety/decocker as a decocker, and carried the 457 off safe. I mostly carried it off duty. It was much lighter than my 4516-3, and just as accurate and reliable.

It shared mags with the 4516 so I never had to pay the $36 fee for extra mags. Mine was reliable and accurate with everything I fed it.

I shoot ALOT. I practice and instruct new shooters, and I compete. My 457's barrel started eating into the frame. The lugs were wearing into where the barrel rests. It did this to a point, and ceased. I asked over on the blue forum, and was told this was normal and not to worry. I did worry and sold the pistol.

Overall I like the 457 and would buy another. Good for carry, but not for alot of shooting IMO. I'd get the stainless version, as the "blue" wears quickly and looks like hell when it does. I think it's a value and an underated compact 45 in the $350 to $425 range. I would not pay more for one than that.

The Chicago PD did have a special order of 457's. IIRC they were DAO and blued vaersions. One collector over on the blue forum has one. IIRC he posted pics. Hope this helps. Regards 18DAI.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks

These look to be police trade in's DOA and blue List price used is 300 bucks. I don't need one but never had a de-cocker and may buy one just to try.

Boats

·
Registered
215 Posts
$300 is a very good price on a nice compact 45. Good luck! Regards 18DAI.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts